Does anyone recognize this maker's mark?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by laura9797, Jun 6, 2022.

1. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

We have a lovely sterling silver cup, London hallmark with date code for 1867. I have a really difficult time reading script! I can't tell if this is a J and K, like Jeremiah King or T? Is it a K? I have camped out on www.925-1000.com and just can't find one exactly like this. It does have a nice weight just shy of 3 troy ounces. Thank you!

Attached Files:

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

3. Bakersgma

4. laura9797

pearlsnblume and Bakersgma like this.
  5. laura9797

pearlsnblume likes this.
  6. Bakersgma

You are most welcome, laura

pearlsnblume likes this.
  7. Bakersgma

Some notes for you.

1, Notice the details of the date letter - the one on your bowl leans to the right, whereas the 1867 one you picked first, does not.

2, Notice the appearance of a "duty mark" in the 1867 online list, but not on your bowl. That's Victoria. There are others for George III and IV. But not having one at all may mean that your piece is either before 1785 or after 1901 when Victoria died. 925-1000 does have a section on duty marks to use as comparison and gives the dates when each was in use. Here's a link https://www.925-1000.com/british_marks.html. FYI - sometimes pieces don't get duty marked because the tax wasn't paid. ;)

johnnycb09 and laura9797 like this.
  8. silvermakersmarks

silvermakersmarks Well-Known Member

A very minor correction to Bakersgma's post: duty on silver was payable from 1 Dec 1784 until 1 May 1890. Oh, and thanks for the links to my site; it's good to share information....

Phil

laura9797, bercrystal and Bakersgma like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted