Featured Does anyone recognize this 835 jewelry mark?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Joan, Nov 5, 2023.

1. Joan

Joan Well-Known Member

I've spent waaaay too much time trying to find out who made this rather modest silver flower? pin (probably 1960s or thereabouts). I'm hoping someone here can tell me at least the country of origin without having to do more research. I've read that the 835 silver mark is/was used mainly on European jewelry of this type. Before I saw the closeup photo I thought it was marked 935 K.I., but now I think it looks like 835 KJ. I've used Google lens, the Online Encyclopedia of Silver Marks, Hallmarks, and Makers' Marks and other sources, but haven't had any luck.
    835 KJ-1.jpg 835 KJ.jpg

2. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

I think it might be Kollmar & Jourdan.

3. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

Perhaps Kollmar & Jourdan of Germany?

This wiki has their mark on a building in the first drop down section and it's similar.

Credit to the 925-1000 board for having a discussion about it. You can read that here.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2023
  4. Joan

Joan Well-Known Member

Thank you so much Lucille and Mirana for answering my question so quickly. After reading through the two links you provided, Mirana, I'm sure the pin is Kollmar & Jourdan--the logo on their building looks the same. I found a few examples of their brooches online--a similar leaf pin had a closeup photo of the marks which were the same as on mine. Examples of their early jewelry and watch chains are beautiful.

It was sad to read that the company (founded in 1885 and one of the largest jewelry companies in Germany) was forced into bankruptcy in 1978 because of bankruptcy regulations that were later deemed not applicable to their situation after the company had already been dissolved.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2023
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Lovely brooch, Joan. Kollmar & Jourdan is a good brand.

6. Joan

Joan Well-Known Member

Thank you, Any Jewelry. I had never heard of the brand, but now have a greater appreciation for the brooch. I think it's the only piece of silver jewelry in my collection made in Germany.

Draft saved Draft deleted