Featured Does Anyone Recognize My Porcelain Baby Doll?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by dgbjwc, Oct 3, 2021.

1. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Hello Board Friends - I am asking for assistance regarding this figurine. It stands about 12 1/2" tall. There are two marks on the bottom: a gold painted 38 and an impressed 37. There is also an impressed X above the number 38 possibly indicating a second. There is a coloring defect under the figurine's left cheek. Any information regarding this child would be much appreciated. Thank you!
    Don

IMG_20211003_170528866.jpg IMG_20211003_170553463.jpg IMG_20211003_170610003.jpg IMG_20211003_170755412.jpg

Figtree3, LauraGarnet02, judy and 2 others like this.
  2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Not a second, just a production mark. My guess is continental, circa 1900.

3. JUSTIN JAMES

JUSTIN JAMES The Curios Agency

Gebruder Heubach

4. JUSTIN JAMES

5. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Why do you say this is Heubach? Are you seeing one of those marks? Have you seen this same figure with a Heubach mark?

6. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

She's standing, so maybe not, but I would class her as a piano baby.

dgbjwc and judy like this.
  7. Bronwen

Just to see.

upload_2021-10-3_18-17-59.png

8. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

9. JUSTIN JAMES

I found three similar figures using an image search app. Two were ebay, one was to Theriault's but all three links were dead.

Two of the images were also listed in a Pintrest groups for Gebruder Heubach dolls/figures. Not that that means much.

Hoped it might be a lead.

Attached Files:

Figtree3, dgbjwc and Bronwen like this.
  10. Bronwen

The yoke of the dress on yours is much more elaborate than others.

11. judy

judy Well-Known Member

She is beautiful! And doll collectors collect/collected this type of figurine. I wouldn't classify her as a doll.

She has the look of GH. Look carefully for an impressed mark around the outside of the base. The base seems to be "busy".

12. judy

judy Well-Known Member

13. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Since Judy brought it up:), I swear sometimes I see things that probably aren't there but I guess worth a look. (I see cloud pictures too).

I "see" letters
    upload_2021-10-4_8-0-51.png

I "see" an oval
    upload_2021-10-4_8-1-13.png

14. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Thank you all so much for help! I agree that there are many areas on the outside and inside base but I just can't seem to pull anything out of those areas. The interior is especially vexing because of inconsistencies in the shading that leaves shadows everywhere! The exterior has lines going every which way but nothing I can make out.

Gebruder Heubach was my first thought when I saw the figurine but have reviewed their marks and can't find anything that looks similar anywhere on my piece. As SIS noted the decoration on the yoke is beautifully detailed on mine. Someone made the extra effort.

I think I will just list it early 1900's continental porcelain as moreotherstuff suggested. I will probably put in the description that its in the style of Gebruder Heubach and let the buyer decide.

Again thanks to everyone for your efforts and links. They are always very much appreciated.

judy likes this.
  15. Bronwen

That was me. :)

judy and say_it_slowly like this.
  16. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Oh dear, my apologies! I'm going to blame it on old age!! :eggface::oops::)

Bronwen likes this.
  17. Bronwen

You want old age? A little earlier I found myself pouring coffee into one of the cats' bowls.

Figtree3, LauraGarnet02 and dgbjwc like this.
  18. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

OMG!! :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

LauraGarnet02, Bronwen and dgbjwc like this.
  19. Bronwen

That was my feeling too.

LauraGarnet02 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted