Does anyone know this 1930's Wedgwood pattern?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by RobertWedgwood, May 28, 2023.

1. RobertWedgwood

RobertWedgwood New Member

Is anyone familiar with this pattern? Wwood4.jpg

2. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

Hmmm. I don't suppose you collect Wedgwood! I collect Larkin products. It is fun having a name printed on objects.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  3. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Sorry, I don't know the name of the pattern, though maybe someone else will. Many patterns did not have names.

I will point out that your Wedgwood & Co earthenware dishes are NOT by Josiah Wedgwood, the famous and well-respected potter. Yours are by Enoch Wedgwood's pottery, he was a distant cousin of Josiah.
    Your mark was used from 1936 through (potentially) 1965. Of note is that in 1965, Enoch's name was added to their pottery's name/marks in order to avoid confusion with Josiah's pottery.
    Why do you associate the 1930s with your dishes, is there family provenance? I've always associated the colored unicorn triangle mark with the 1950s (the latter part of the mark's use), but I could be wrong and I haven't yet found documentation supporting that thought.
    From thepotteries.org:
    "The ware of Wegwood & Co are sometimes confused with those of Josiah Wedgwood & Sons Ltd. However the inclusion of "& Co" or "& Co Ltd" in the name always differentiates between the two companies as Josiah Wedgwood never used "& Co". "
    "Messrs. Wedgwood & Co. became a limited company in 1900 and continued to use this old title until 1965, when the new style Enoch Wedgwood (Tunstall) Ltd. was adopted to avoid the confusion which often arose between the old title (and marks) and that of Josiah Wedgwood & Sons Ltd."
    "In 1965 the company Wedgwood & Co. was sold to Semart Importing Co. based in New Jersey, USA and refloated as Enoch Wedgwood (Tunstall) Ltd. "

Screenshot (208).png

Last edited: May 28, 2023
    komokwa, Aquitaine, Figtree3 and 2 others like this.
  4. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

It looks like you're assuming Wedgwood is actually Robert's last name. :)
    I've often seen newbies use a word associated with their item in question as all or part of their user name here.

5. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

6. RobertWedgwood

RobertWedgwood New Member

Thanks for going to the trouble of providing above info Bluumz. I was already aware of all that and wasn't suggesting my pieces had anything to do with Josiah. I actually know that my pieces are 1934-1936 because the dates are imprinted on some of them, the pieces from 1934 have the standard unicorn stamp and the ones from 1936 have the colored unicorn in a triangle (which is the first year that the colored triangle was used, some of the date imprints are 1034, 736 and 936. I know they are authentic because I have already had all this confirmed by Steve who runs the potteries.org website (link you provided). Here's a message I had from Steve;
    Hello Robert

Thanks for the extra photos - the impressed numbers 1034 and 736 are the month/year of manufacture - so October 1934 and July 1936. THis fit is with the introduction of the triangular printed mark in 1936.

I have added your photos to the page on Wedgwood & Co with a little more explanation..

.. http://www.thepotteries.org/allpotters/1061.htm

(you may have to refresh your web browser to see the updated page)

regards Steve

What I'm trying to find out is the pattern name??

kentworld likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted