Do you think this is Baroque?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Irenka, Sep 26, 2024 at 12:34 PM.

1. Irenka

Irenka Well-Known Member

Hello, it's me again! Recently, I came across another wonderful find at a fair. This gigantic mirror, with a beautiful patina. The mirror must have been replaced at some point in the past, as can be seen from the back... I don't have a picture of the back because it's so heavy that I didn’t dare take it off the wall without my partner's help to photograph it... so I can't determine its age just from the mirror. The frame, however, is wooden, carved, and patinated. The clouds that make up the frame, and the symmetry itself, seem Baroque to me. What do you think? It also has a small shelf, which I assume was for a candle, to spread light around the room. The dimensions are:
    115 x 56 x 20 cm/45.28 x 22.05 x 7.87 in

Thank you for your opinions and for your time.
    DSC_8717 (Small).JPG DSC_8687 (Small).JPG DSC_8753 (Small).JPG DSC_8772 (Small).JPG

Any Jewelry and Figtree3 like this.
  2. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Certainly not a mirror expert, but my feeling is that this is a revival piece from, perhaps, the 1920s. This is mainly due to the lack of sharp articulation in the frame’s decorative elements. There was a minor Victorian revival during this time period, and this seems to fit within it.

mirana, Irenka and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted