Dixon & Son Date Code ?

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Drew, Feb 7, 2018.

1. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member

I believe the '1836' is a model number - other numbers ? Have heard their 19 c. pewter has date codes. s-l1600 (14).jpg s-l1600 (13).jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

That is not a date code. The C below the inventory number designated that this was made for export to the US.

judy likes this.
  3. Bakersgma

I can tell you however (having pulled out my book on Sheffield Pewter) that the arrangement of the words (with James on the top line and Dixon & Sons beneath was used from 1835-1841.

judy likes this.
  4. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member

Thank you. . . that's right about when I figured this dated to.

5. Bakersgma

You're welcome, Drew. I knew right off (but double checked the book because you never know when the brain will play tricks) because I have a 5 piece Dixon tea and coffee set from the same period (although made for domestic sale not export.)

I did did re-read the marks section to see whether the author had given any explanation of the other numbers on Dixon pieces. He did not. So then I checked the underside of all of mine - no 2 the same and several have more than 2 numbers - as many as 4. Other makers are documented to have included the "worker's number" - it's possible that's what you have here.

6. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member

I just bought this piece having recently developed an interest in earlier 19 c. pewter which seems to be a good value in the World antique metal craftsmanship. This coffee pot has a strong design and is rather commanding at 13" tall. Dixon seems to be at the upper end on design an quality for pewter of the era. Thanks again for the details.

Bakersgma likes this.