Disputing UK custom charge?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by shamster, Jun 5, 2024.

1. shamster

shamster Well-Known Member

I've paid almost 80 pounds on a 400 pound antique button bought from France, the seller said it's old yet unfortunately that does not count as antique to the customs I guess. It's not a big amount, so I wont bother for a paid evaluation or certificate, just wondering if I can successfully win the claim using examples gathered online from different dealers, and proving my item is manufactured in the same time and style?

mmarco102 likes this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Always worth a try. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.;)
    Good luck.:)

mmarco102 and shamster like this.
  3. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

How was it described on the customs form and what value was written on it.
    If it was an eBay purchase was the fee taken automatically via eBay?

I rarely buy from overseas but a few years ago, before Brexit and eBays automatic customs charges, I bought something for $20 from the US, the seller would not send International so I got a friend to buy and send it.

I told her to put a nominal amount on the customs form like $2

She wrote it as $2.00 but when it arrived in the UK the decimal point was barely visible and HM Customs read it as $200 and made me pay £14 before they would allow delivery.

My appeal fell on deaf ears.

Marote, komokwa, mmarco102 and 3 others like this.
  4. shamster

The seller wrote 'old button' at a value of 450 euro, the exactly amount I paid. But she didn't state it's an antique, thus fell into the normal 20%. Nah not taken by ebay. last time I bought an antique necklace from France, seller wrote 'vintage jewellery' and I only need to pay 5%, even not described as antique.

As for your case, I think even she wrote 20 it should still be tax free since it's under 39 or 135 pounds or something? And normally they'll ask you to submit the ebay page as proof of value. But the way you need to post everything in an envelope knowing not if it's ever received and reviewed don't sound good to me.:hungover:

moreotherstuff likes this.
  5. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Not that I know anything about the subject, but I'd like to see the button, and learn a bit about it.

Marote, johnnycb09, Lucille.b and 2 others like this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

7. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

It is beautiful, but I hadn't realized that was this.

Marote and shamster like this.
  8. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

It’s worth a try, you won’t get the admin fee back, but it costs nothing to appeal.

Marote and shamster like this.
  9. shamster

It does cost me the stamp and the printing haha but I've posted it out anyway! Finger crossed :angelic:

Marote and Any Jewelry like this.
  10. shamster

Update: my claim is successful with my examples incluced in the letter! Just received 57 pounds of refund two days ago :joyful:

11. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!

12. shamster

Thank you :angelic:

13. Ownedbybear

Excellent. Well done.

shamster likes this.
  14. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

It never hurts to ask because the worst that could happen is they say no & I'm sure you've been told that before. :happy::happy:

shamster and Ownedbybear like this.
  15. Ownedbybear

HMRC are often pretty decent in my experience. Yes, they go by the rules but if they’ve got them applied wrongly, they fix it.

bercrystal and shamster like this.
  16. shamster

Haha yes!

bercrystal likes this.
  17. shamster

Agree, I once bought a necklace from France and seller only said vintage, they still applied 5% only

bercrystal likes this.
  18. Ownedbybear

Some years back, I realised I’d got a tax return wrong. It was a good two years previously, too. Phoned the Revenue, and said, oops, left off my business car mileage. No problem. They amended my return over the phone.

Two grand cheque in the post a week later.

bercrystal, lvetterli and shamster like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted