display shelf?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Petar Novakovic, Dec 5, 2014.

1. Petar Novakovic

Petar Novakovic New Member

How would you describe this? And what would you thing it is worth?

Attached Files:

2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Shadow box style display frame. Not bad. Over here, about forty, maybe fifty dollars?

3. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Petar,
    As Bear stated, they are called shadow boxes. They were very popular in the 1950s/60s. I have not seen any in the last few years so no help on the price.
    greg

4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Nice frame...clean look....and collectors are always looking for nice ways to store and show their items.......I could see an end user paying $70 for it !

5. cartoongirl

cartoongirl "Don't Blink!"

I do very well with display cabinets. This one has a Hollywood Regency Italian feel to it. I wouldn't go any lower than maybe $125.00 and ship Fedex.

6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

That would do well around here due to the Italian influence, or on the West Coast due to the metallics and mirror.

7. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Definitely Florida or California. I don't see this selling in New England. Didn't everyone's aunt or grandmother have one of these back in the 50s? I had one in my bedroom that had a pink frame.

8. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

They were pretty common. My dad had a brown wood version; his had HO trains in it.

9. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

I agree with the above posts, value on this kind of thing depends where you live.

You might check the back for a label. Turner made a lot of these.

I would be loathe to sell this on Ebay, just because of the amount of effort/expense shipping would be, esp with the mirror backing. You'd need an oversize box and a fair amount of packing.

You don't see these vintage shadow boxes that often -- it seems like a nice one, would look great in an antique/collectibles store, but if you have to ship, if it was me, I'd think twice.

Draft saved Draft deleted