Featured Discovered interesting (movie?) tag on girl's 40's dress -what do you think?

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by Lucille.b, Jan 3, 2018.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

I posted a question about this dress a month or so ago, little girl size 3T or 4T, 1940's era. Was intrigued by the "Kay Lewis Picture Mode" tag, not a whole lot online. Was getting ready to list this morning and noticed that there were 3 staples in the back near the top buttons, not shown on the exterior of the dress. Wanted to describe this properly for my auction and just took another look at the staples. Here under the edging of the fabric is a name, and I think it might be for a movie director. Tag reads: H.B. Carpenter. There is a "Horace B. Carpenter" that was an actor/director around the right time frame. What do you think? Could this be a child's dress that was in a movie?

k1.jpg ahb1.jpg ahb2.jpg ahb3.jpg

Attached Files:

• k3.jpg
      k3.jpg
      File size:
      155.5 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

How interesting. The film costumes I've seen - and I've handled many - normally have either the character name or the name of the actor/actress if anything. Or, some kind of generic, like "little girl running". I don't think you'd get the director normally.

I suspect it is a costume: it's made for effect not wear and tear.

3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Would have been a bit of a tight fit for him.

Debora

4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

The way the name on the label is printed reminds me of 2 things - dry cleaners tags identifying the customer and the labels mom always sewed into clothing my brother and I were taking to summer camp. Neither is really a perfect match, but I agree the name of person who wore it, not someone further up in the organization. JMHO

5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

From the staples, I would think dry cleaners' more likely. Camp labels were usually (lovingly) hand-sewn in.

Debora

6. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

I'm glad to have additional eyes on this. I figured from the get-go this might be nearly impossible to sort out, but some good ideas here, and very much appreciate everyone taking a look and sharing thoughts.

I would not have given any of this a second thought except for the original google search that said that Kay Lewis (name on the tag) was a costume designer. Hard to imagine a dry cleaner as a general practice, would put three heavy staples in a delicate fabric dress, but who knows what they did in the 1940's, could be just that. But if not that, got me thinking the damage removing the staples would do, indicated this dress was just for one time use, which might argue for a movie or similar. Also if it was the name of the child who wore the dress, you'd think "Mary Carpenter" or something like that. "H.B. Carpenter" does not sound like a little girl's name in the 1940's -- but I suppose could be a parent of the child. The way the tag is hidden also seemed odd for a camp label or even dry cleaner. But agree, a little odd to be a director's name, rather than a movie title or character description. Probably means it is not for a movie.

Maybe doesn't really matter too much for resale, but fun considering possible history. Thanks!

Draft saved Draft deleted