Dining Table & six chairs

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Jenny T, May 15, 2016.

1. Jenny T

Jenny T New Member

I have this dining table and six chairs that I inherited when my Grandmother passed away in 1998. She never really told me much about it, other than it came from her family homestead on the Kingston Penninsula New Brunswick, Canada and she remembers it as a child. She was born in 1910. The chairs are very sturdy, but have obviously had some attempts at cleaning/refinishing. The table has leaves on either side but needs a little firming up as its a bit wobbly. Since it became mine it has been a display piece but never used as a table & chairs used only occasionally when extra seating was needed. I'm changing locations soon and have been wondering whether I should sell it or hold onto it. And if I sell it do I contact an antique dealer or just put it up on an online buy & sell board? I have other pieces too, dressers, chair, spool bed & cedar chest I'm also thinking of selling, perhaps even as a lot.

If anyone has any info or thoughts in what the history may be or if it has any significant value, input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

lauragarnet likes this.
  2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Those chairs are pressed oak , again circa 1880s . Not worth much even in good condition , I see them in the $25 - 50 range all the time .

lauragarnet likes this.
  3. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

1880s or a decade or so later. press-backs are out of fashion now but having six is a plus. Ought to be worth a couple hundred for the set. The table is from about the same era. More of a kitchen table and not terribly valuable with those splits in the top. If it were mine, I would be happy with $75.00 for it.

Jenny T likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted