different logos Richard Ginori on same pieces

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Gianluca72, Aug 17, 2019.

1. Gianluca72

Gianluca72 Well-Known Member

Hello friends,
    today I would like to bring to your attention this set of cups and saucers with relative sugar bowl, Richard Ginori.
    On the bottom of the cups and saucers I find its logo, while on the bottom of the sugar bowl I find a different logo.
    Yet the sugar bowl belongs unequivocally to the set, of which I am sure.
    Through your expertise, I'd like to understand why there are two different logos, and if you can help me date this set.
    Thank you all

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Not uncommon to see a little bit different marking beneath a serving piece.

We don't know if the set was "collected" and then the serving pieces were added as a part of that set. This would be one method. Often the serving ware is just better marked though.

UncleChuckTX, Gianluca72 and judy like this.
  3. Gianluca72

Thanks for your reply
    By your point of view how can I date it?
    Usually dating marks help me to attribute the right period, but now I am a bit confused.

4. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Is it a standard size set or more of a demitasse size? I would think it was no earlier than mid-century due to the color palette and the size of the sugar bowl relative to the cups and saucers. I agree with antidiem and the different logos do not bother me. I would assume that all pieces were produced roughly within the same time frame. As antidiem noted it's not unusual to see different logos and it's possible the sugar was produced by one factory for Ginori and the cups and saucers by another. That could explain why the marks are different. Please note that I am not an expert in Ginori so I am merely expressing my opinions.
    Don

5. antidiem

I could only guess towards the end of the MCM period, but it's such a generic design that it could be earlier or later. Have you checked "Replacements" dot com for your pattern?

Gianluca72 likes this.
  6. antidiem

lol barely sniped by Don, thanks! :joyful:

Gianluca72 and dgbjwc like this.
  7. Gianluca72

Thanks to you all for the info very precious for me.
    Next replacementsdotcom there is not that pattern under " Ginori ".
    Btw I've found a website that shows Ginori museum date marks but and there is the one under the sugar bowl, but images are too little and I'm not able to read the date that is written under. The logo is the first from the fifth line, next http://www.archivioceramica.com/FABBRICHE/R/Richard-Ginori.htm

8. Gianluca72

Please,
    Can someone be able to read the date under it? Thanks

9. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

I cannot read the dates either. I originally answered the post from my phone and had no way to enlarge the logos. When I tried again on my PC I found that if I attempted to enlarge the logos it only made them harder to read. From what dates I can make out on the other logos, and assuming the dates run in order, I think your logo would signify the 1950's.
    Don

Gianluca72 likes this.
  10. Gianluca72

Wow thanks a lot for your time and support. Ok my friends thanks to you all and have a great August

Draft saved Draft deleted