Did Someone Use This Ceramic/Porcelain Figurine as a Scratch Pad or What

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by ola402, Jun 14, 2016.

1. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

This is a Royal Worcester figurine and I was wondering what all the scratchings on the bottom may mean? Doesn't look like it belongs there. She measures 7" high. TY!

BTW - I really can't always tell the difference between ceramic and porcelain.

DSCF5934.jpg DSCF5940.jpg

lauragarnet and lloyd249 like this.
  2. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

I Googled "Royal Worcester 55% 56%" and found that Replacements.com has a bunch of listings which they claim are 56% off on their RW items... maybe those scratchings are theirs? They also often list pieces as "1 of 4", "9", etc.
    Anyway, that's all I got!
    And your girl there is beautiful. Love those petticoats!

lauragarnet and KingofThings like this.
  3. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I'm not sure what the marks mean but I can tell you a little about the difference in porcelain etc. Ceramic is a general term that includes porcelain, stoneware and earthenware. Both stoneware and porcelain are made with clays that can be fired at very high temperatures that cause the them to vitrify to various degrees and makes them fairly impervious to water. Earthenwares are made with clays fired at lower temperatures and need to be glazed if they need to be impervious to water.

A little trick from archaeology.....if you touch the unglazed portion of a piece to your tongue earthenwares will "stick" to your tongue a little but porcelains and stonewares don't "stick".

4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Ohwww....YUK !!!!! :hilarious::hilarious:

5. say_it_slowly

I know but it works:)

6. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

On American pottery I would assume it's either a glaze formula or some type of color code. Could be the same thing here. The figurine went into production but perhaps this is a sample?
    Don

7. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Komo,
    My favorite way to test Fiestaware old vs new is a slight lick on the unglazed ring on the back. Old has a slight stick, the new is smooth so no stick. So go YUK yourself.:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
    greg

ascot, komokwa, Wanttoknow and 5 others like this.
  8. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

It's because the lower fired clays are absorbent. The "stick" is because the moisture on your tongue is absorbed by the clay. A drop of water will work as well. Low fired clays will darken with a drop of water because the water is absorbed. Once it dries, the color returns to normal. It's also why low fired clays stain easily. High fired clays won't absorb the water, so they don't change color.

I long time ago I read that it's one way to tell early van Briggle from later production, but I forget the details.

9. lloyd249

lloyd249 it's not hoarding if it's valuable

i hope you washed it first ,but i can't get this vision out of my head of someone licking something in a thrift store ,wondering where it's been lol :D

10. lloyd249

you can see light through porcelain but not through ceramic , hope that helps

lauragarnet and KingofThings like this.
  11. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

That DOES help, Lloyd!!!

I'm fighting it, but I think I have a ceramic/pottery/porcelain urge... and I already have a gateway-drug-item... my yellow McCoy duck planter.

12. say_it_slowly

13. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

I'm with Komo! No pottery licking for me.

Don, I think you may be right about the color code.

14. Wanttoknow

Wanttoknow Well-Known Member

Do you do it in Goodwill.... Flea market....Garage Sale....? :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious: albert-einstein-tongue-1-588130.jpg jj88.jpg

15. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Thanks Ola....I was starting to think I was gonna get a licking ....for my comment !!!:hilarious::hilarious:

lloyd249 likes this.
  16. Wanttoknow

:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious: Well... Now if I will see that some man turned some sculpture of the girl (or some animal :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:) turned upside down and lick it at the bottom - I will understand WHAT HE IS DOING and it is NOT what I was thinking about!!! :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::sorry::sorry::sorry::sorry::sorry::sorry::sorry::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

Aquitaine and lloyd249 like this.
  17. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

*Covering WTK'S mouth*
    Oh, YOUUUUU!!!!!
    *Giggling hysterically*

lloyd249 and Wanttoknow like this.
  18. Wanttoknow

Sorry GG, my English is bad, but imagination is VERY GOOD. :p:hungover::hungry::wacky::depressed::yuck::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

Aquitaine and lloyd249 like this.
  19. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I should explain. In the very beginning (1986) Homer Laughlin started to make Fiesta again. It was fired a higher temp which made the difference. The early pieces looked and were marked the same as the old Fiesta. A quick and easy(?) way to tell was the tongue test. I do not need to do it now but at the time it was a quick test.
    greg

lloyd249 likes this.
  20. lloyd249

as long as it's not "destructive" testing lol

Wanttoknow likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted