DeVibliss Perfume Atomizer?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by KikoBlueEyes, May 15, 2019.

1. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

I wasn't going to post this, but my efforts at research have not confirmed what is printed on the label. Since I don't know anything about perfume atomizers and I understand we have an expert @bercrystal, I thought I would ask. The label that was put on the bottle by a seller says this is a DeVibliss Perfume Atomizer Circa 1940. By the way, I did not pay $145. What do you all think? IMG_2146.jpg IMG_2147.JPG IMG_2149.JPG IMG_2150.JPG

Last edited: May 15, 2019
    Christmasjoy and pearlsnblume like this.
  2. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

Yes it is a DeVilbiss perfume atomizer. It is shown in the 1953 catalog & is number S595-7. Its original retail price was $5.95.

This bottle has one of their patented closures to prevent evaporation of your perfume. To use the atomizer you would turn the ornamental crown a half turn. When you were done you turned it back till it was snugly down.

DeVilbiss patented all of their hardware & had several different methods of sealing the atomizer to prevent evaporation.

Jivvy, judy, UncleChuckTX and 7 others like this.
  3. KikoBlueEyes

Thanks so much You are amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. KikoBlueEyes

$5.95 would be $55.99 in today's money. Not cheap.

5. bercrystal

You are very welcome!!! :kiss::kiss::kiss: I am glaad I could help out. :happy::happy::happy:

I forgot to say that the catalog said that the jewel on top is "Jade".

Jivvy, judy, Christmasjoy and 2 others like this.
  6. KikoBlueEyes

:) now did it say anything about the glass? that's what attracted me was the glass.

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  7. bercrystal

It is hard to say who made the actual bottle. They bought bottles from just about everyone at one time or another since all they actually made was the metal hardware.

The earliest bottles were Bohemian & some were also cut bottles originally intended to be used as salt or pepper shakers. They went on to buy bottles from companies such as Tiffin, Cambridge, Steuben, Fry, Westmoreland, Morgantown, Fenton & Lenox. They also bought from many countries such as Czechoslovakia, Austria, Italy & West Germany.

8. KikoBlueEyes

Fascinating. One site I visited, the collector was driven to collect all the bottles by Fenton since she was a fenton and devibliss collector. she had a display of about 50 or so bottles with spaces for the missing ones. I just thought the catalog might speak to it, but now I understand thanks so much for the info. (no caps cat on lap.)

pearlsnblume, judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  9. bercrystal

:hilarious::hilarious:

I remembered another book I had this morning & they say this bottle was handblown. It came in green, topaz & amethyst. I checked my cabinet & I have the amethyst in this shape bottle. I do have a green one, but it is in the shape kind of like a flying saucer & that one does have a sticker on the bottom that says "hand blown".

Jivvy and dgbjwc like this.
  10. KikoBlueEyes

I love that. I knew there was something about the glass. It is very heavy and poured very thickly on the bottom. Love you have one that is the same in a different color. Makes me treasure it more that someone I respect has collected one that's similar.

judy likes this.
  11. bercrystal

I actually found 2 more, same hardware, different bottles in another cabinet. :bag::bag::bag: :shame::shame::shame: :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I will try to get a quick photo posted soon. :happy::happy:

judy and Jivvy like this.
  12. KikoBlueEyes

Great. I love you have three. Look forward to pictures

judy likes this.
  13. bercrystal

@KikoBlueEyes

Well I finally got around to getting photos of my bottles with the same type hardware. :p:p

Somehow the green bottle got put in the cabinet with out being cleaned, so I had to get it degunked before I took the photos. :oops::oops:

Also when I went to get the ones out of the cabinet in my office I discovered there were actually 4 instead of 2. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: So I actually have 5 with his hardware. :bag::bag:

They all have a "Hand Blown" sticker on them. The amber has a "Hand Cut in Western Germany" sticker on the side. The brown one with the clear base looks more like a Murano piece, but I could be wrong. :happy::happy:

All but the cut ones are shown in the 1953 to 1956 DeVilbiss catalogs, but I would suspect they are from the same time frame.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. KikoBlueEyes

Peggy
    Wow. :joyful::joyful: These are wonderful. Thanks for degunking :yuck::yuck::yuck::yuck::yuck: the green one so I could see it. It has the same "jade" top button as mine.:woot::woot: It's wonderful to know they are handblown. The cut ones are quite pretty and interesting. The brown one is a piece of art just in itself, so I know why you think it is Murano. I love you found you had more than you realized. :happy::happy::happy::happy::happy: Now you have shared your passion with me, I see these beautiful objects in a different way. They had just slid passed my attention, even though I love glass things. Thanks so much for the degunking and taking the time to take and upload the photos.

judy likes this.
  15. bercrystal

You are very welcome!!! :happy::happy::happy::happy:

I could talk about them forever. ;):eek::rolleyes::rolleyes::D:D

Some day when I can get my act together I will post some of my older bottles. The enameled & cut bottles are truly little works of art. :smug::smug:

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  16. KikoBlueEyes

That's an exciting prospect. Can't wait for you to show them off. :happy::greedy::greedy::greedy::greedy:

bercrystal likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted