Featured Desert Sands Pottery Unglazed Vase 13" - Any Comparibles?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by mirana, Nov 26, 2023.

1. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

Picked up this Desert Sands Pottery vase at a thrift no where near DSP territory. I've read what has helpfully been posted on CW and a couple online articles about the Evans family, road-side/tourist sale method, and similarities to Niloak.

It is 13" tall, unglazed on the outside, glazed on the inside and ink stamped on the bottom "Desert Sands Pottery" with "FAP 16.50" written.

Am I right that the period for this piece was 1950s? And also it seems to be rather larger than any others I can find. Has anyone seen others of this large size for comparison? I was wondering how frequently they may have been made since it seems this pottery studio specialized in smaller affordable pieces. 16.50 in 1950s dollars appears to calculate to over $200 today. I'm assuming the writing is original to the first sale as I found another with the same 3-letter type code and price. It doesn't appear to be the name of a potter. FAP doesn't seem to match a known one, and the other code I saw was RYN on a pot stamped with T. Evans as the maker. So...inventory code?

DesertSandsPotteryVase13 1sm.jpg

DesertSandsPotteryVase13 3sm.jpg

DesertSandsPotteryVase13 2sm.jpg

Thanks for any help! I just pick up things that speak to me so I'm not an expert collector in this area. I enjoy learning about their artisans.

2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

16.50 strikes me as being the price, although for that, maybe it was the 50s. Lovely piece.

Boland, stracci and mirana like this.
  3. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Most Desert Sands has a clear over glaze. This is more like Niloak or Evans. As such, would think it early in their production. Not a lot of collectors so think the value modest. Even Niloak has plummeted in value and that is where the main collecting interest is.

kentworld, Boland, aaroncab and 3 others like this.
  4. stracci

stracci Well-Known Member

It's fab!
    I'da jumped on that, too!

Boland, Bronwen and mirana like this.
  5. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

Thank you! I agree that it is a price. This CW collector included a catalog which shows similar pricing structure, for smaller pieces. Idk when that catalog is from, but they mention DSP was 1950-62ish before the potters went separate ways. One Potter kept the name, and I can't find marks with dates used, but that font looks about right for the time.

Thanks for the comment. I had seen another collector mention it to be earlier, approx 1950-60, so at least that period I'm assuming.

Luckily I bought it for myself for $10 so not worried about resell right now. Just wondering how often these show up at this size.

Boland and Bronwen like this.
  6. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

Thank you! I didn't have a large vase yet and was excited to find a clearly handmade one. The thrift put a sticker over the mark because they love to make things challenging lol, but I had a mind to peek. I would have bought it anyway. I love handmade arts.

stracci, Boland and Bronwen like this.
  7. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

I also like that. Nice find!

mirana and Bronwen like this.
  8. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I have been collecting art pottery for a lot of years and have never seen a large vase such as this with the Desert Sands mark. I think that both the size and the finish make this at least somewhat of a rarity.

9. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

Really, never? :jawdrop: That's impressive considering your background and how much I know you've seen. That is so interesting, thank you!

stracci likes this.
  10. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

Thank you! I carried it around the thrift like a baby. :hilarious: It's about as heavy as one!

Any Jewelry, stracci and Boland like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted