Featured Described as Balinese Silver alloy mask with crown.

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by 916Bulldogs123, Jul 22, 2024.

1. 916Bulldogs123

916Bulldogs123 Well-Known Member

That is what I found another one I did googling was listed with no other information.
    This is 12 1/2" tall x 10" wide x 2" deep
    I have not cleaned it in any way yet. it does appear to either be some silver alloy or maybe aluminum. But it is rather heavy for aluminum.
    Is it a mask or just a nice wall decoration?
    Any and all thoughts helpful
    Mikey
    100_2290.JPG 100_2291.JPG
    100_2285.JPG 100_2287.JPG 100_2295.JPG 100_2296.JPG

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

The latter.
    I don't think it is a silver alloy though, and I don't think it was ever in Bali. Although it is difficult to keep up with what the Balinese are doing these days.;)

With that peacock, maybe home decor from India?
    Could it be nickel silver ('German silver')? Cheaper than aluminium, so more likely to be used for a decorative item like this.

3. 916Bulldogs123

4. Any Jewelry

Most of the other masks on that site attributed to Bali are definitely not Balinese. It is probably not the forte of their Asian expert.

kyratango and 916Bulldogs123 like this.
  5. 916Bulldogs123

Totally agree!
    So Nickel silver and India are most likely maker and material
    Mikey

kyratango and Any Jewelry like this.
  6. Any Jewelry

That would be my guess. But I haven't seen one of these before, so it is only a guess.

916Bulldogs123 likes this.
  7. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

I cannot find another close comparison. The one shown on carters is virtually identical, which at least indicates that they were made in multiples. I agree that it was probably made as a decorative item, and I think India is also the best guess. Such objects can be difficult to identify because they may combine motifs and materials in non-traditional ways. For example, the pattern of the feathers on top reminds me of art from Borneo, but they are not known for metal work of this sort.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  8. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

I have found two more metal masks that seem related, based on the treatment of the hair/feathers at the top. They are both attributed to Indonesia (but different islands), with no further documentation. I don't know whether the descriptions should be considered accurate -

This one, described as Balinese and brass -
    upload_2024-7-23_15-9-33.png
    https://www.invaluable.com/auction-lot/old-indonesian-balinese-brass-mask-on-stand-317-c-90d417581b

And this one, described as Batak (Sumatra), brass/bronze -
    upload_2024-7-23_15-11-33.png
    https://www.borneoartifact.com/product/brass-mask/

Any Jewelry and 916Bulldogs123 like this.
  9. Any Jewelry

I don't think they should.;) I don't see any Balinese influence, not any Batak influence either.

You mentioned Borneo before, but remarked that they are not known for metalwork of this sort, which is correct.
    However, the style of the masks you found is vaguely reminiscent of Dayak Hudoq masks from Kalimantan, the Indonesian part of Borneo. Of course Hudoq masks are made of wood and painted white with red and black decorations.
    That still leaves Mikey's mask, which is of a different type.

All of them could have been made in the same workshop, which could be located anywhere.

2manybooks and 916Bulldogs123 like this.
  10. 916Bulldogs123

Can anyone tell me what the one sold for on the carters site?
    Also it would look fabulous if I cleaned and polished it. But not sure if I should.
    Mikey

Draft saved Draft deleted