Featured Derby cherub how rare is this?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by sunday silence, Nov 28, 2023.

1. sunday silence

sunday silence Well-Known Member

this is from an auction a few weeks ago, not sure what it went for but I thought to keep a few pics for reference. How rare are these?

IMG_0636_photo_full_1697049896930.jpg IMG_0635_photo_full_1697049899957.jpg IMG_0637_photo_full_1697049915791.jpg IMG_0639_photo_full_1697049918150.jpg

2. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

What is that creature?

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

A firefox?

johnnycb09 and Bronwen like this.
  4. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

There's an allusion here to Vulcan's forge, with a putto making what looks like a plaything.

KikoBlueEyes and Any Jewelry like this.
  5. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Just from looking online, it's a Nottingham Road mark dating between 1805 and 1848.

6. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Beautiful!!
    I'm a sucker for putti/cherubs. My 23yo son was a chubby baby and they always make me think of him. :shame:

Any Jewelry and sunday silence like this.
  7. sunday silence

Im thinking it must have been part of a set at one point. I was thinking maybe the four seasons, but perhaps some sort of mythology grouping.

Bronwen and moreotherstuff like this.
  8. sunday silence

Hello MoS. I was not aware of dating that mark that precisely. Can you link to the source? that might be useful for the future. There is also similar Edme Samson mark and I was thinking that this might be Samson but I guess not. But what about the color palette? The blues, golds and peach I see, are we sure those are from the 18th cent?

Last edited: Nov 28, 2023
    Bronwen likes this.
  9. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

10. sunday silence

oh thanks MOS.

moreotherstuff likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted