Featured Depression Glass

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Desertau, Jun 27, 2024 at 8:58 AM.

1. Desertau

Desertau Well-Known Member

I have a few more pieces of peachblow glass I was trying to find to test if my cheep Amazon black light would emit the proper frequency to stimulate uranium glass, but I forgot where I put them.

I did run across some depression glass I’d forgotten about and it did not react with this glass so no help there, but thought I’d post this glass too.

my moms uncle ran a gas station in Petaluma California during the Great Depression, I’m guessing depression glass vs carnival glass or is this interchangeable. The glass looks slightly amber in the photos but is actually slightly more pink. The gold rims are largely intact.
    IMG_2024-06-27-044412.jpeg IMG_2024-06-27-044510.jpeg

2. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

3. Desertau

komokwa likes this.
  4. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Depression and carnival glass are two different collecting areas. The main way to tell them apart is that carnival glass has an iridescent surface. Depression glass prices have indeed softened but there is still a market for most pink patterns if the pieces are priced right. Ebay sold prices should give you a pretty good idea of what to expect. The gold trim is not common but that actually might hurt the value a bit as it would not match the standard undecorated pattern that most people have.

pearlsnblume, Marie W and komokwa like this.
  5. Desertau

Thank you that makes sense about the trim, I mistakenly assumed it was common to all and had just worn off.

pearlsnblume and komokwa like this.
  6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The gold rim would have been on pieces you had to go out and purchase. The plain ones were usually the ones given away at movie theaters, gas stations, with soap, etc. There were two kinds, the "regular" Depression glass and "elegant" depression glass. You had to go out and spend money on the Elegant pieces.

Carnival glass could be a bit older and was made with an iridescent coating. It was made to be given away as a prize at carnivals originally, and later on pieces were sold. The background colors were dark so the rainbow-y effect would show up well. Some was made in lighter colors later I think. IIRC there was a peach one.

dgbjwc and pearlsnblume like this.
  7. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

My next door neighbors had pink depression glass that they collected each time they went to the movies when they were first dating.

One night, the shelves in the kitchen gave way and many pieces were now pieces and had to be thrown out.
    The husband lived to be 101 and the wife is around 95 or so.
    Both lovely people.

8. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted