Featured Deleware-Tavern Table??...Age-I.D.Help??

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by SPERLS, Sep 16, 2017.

1. SPERLS

SPERLS sperls

I have had this for a while...Picked at an estate sale...! Saw that James Conrad put up a similar & older table...Would appreciate any information on mine....Thanks! IMG_9399.JPG IMG_9405.JPG IMG_9405.JPG IMG_9407.JPG IMG_9404.JPG IMG_9402.JPG IMG_9411.JPG IMG_9407.JPG IMG_9413.JPG IMG_9410.JPG

2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Sorry, can't help with this one.
    Just wanted to say I like it.

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I too...know nuthin.....but can't help saying I like it !!
    It's got spunk !!!!

4. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Well, it's a splay leg tavern table with queen anne feet/legs and an oval top, i'd guess mid 20th century.

5. James Conrad

About the Delaware River Valley, it's a rather small area although it covers parts of several states, here is a map of that area.
    Delawarevalleymap.png

6. James Conrad

What made this area unique in colonial times, according to Chris Storb, it was the only area in the colonies that used oak in secondary wood furniture construction between 1700-1740.

Coming out of the pilgrim century era (1620-1720) where furniture was built by joiners with both primary & secondary woods being oak, it's like the cabinetmakers from the william & mary period onward wanted nothing to do with oak, except here.

America would not see oak furniture, either primary or secondary wood, built out of oak again until 1900 when the golden age of oak began, 200 years after the pilgrim era ended.

7. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Am I seeing what looks like a "bar gloss epoxy coating" on the top?? Seems to be visible in the first images along with the drips around the edges.....but I like the table in general!!! Love the oval shape, feet and the drawer....maybe 1960's repro????? IF that is an epoxy coating on top, not sure how you'd EVER get that off...or maybe you don't want to!!!

8. SPERLS

SPERLS sperls

Thanks for your replies...Especially James for the description of my table & the history!!..Aquitane....I purchased this,as pictured with the varnish/epoxy drippings on the sides...I will keep it,as is.

9. James Conrad

No problem! Although your table isn't period, it still has the "look" of an 18th century colonial table with very nice proportions. And, it looks like it was well built with thick boards making it strong & solid.

10. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

There was a time in the 50s/60s when the "Colonial" look was popular. This wasn't made to fool anyone; it was probably sold in a furniture store along with some wing back chairs for someone's living room.

11. James Conrad

Yep, agrees, even 1970's with the 1976 bicentennial! Maybe americana will make a big come back in 2076 for the tricentennial!

Ghopper1924, judy and KingofThings like this.
  12. evelyb30

Maybe my parents' Ethan Allen stuff will be worth money then! These days that 60s Colonial sells for peanuts. The formica-topped kitchen tables have to about be given away, even though they're pot-proof and kid-resistant. If the little table is sun-faded and the like, I'd be tempted to mess with it. It would be cool with an Americana design painted onto the top.

judy, KingofThings and James Conrad like this.
  13. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

If you've not you should visit sometime and go to Washington's Crossing and also visit all the historic areas directly around there and beyond. :)

James Conrad and judy like this.
  14. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

Not that I am by any means a furniture historian, but I think this is a bit earlier - I think the 1940's - when the country paid homage to Williamsburg and the Rockefellers. Something about the construction and what appears to be the original finish on the base/legs. Its just a tad too true to form for the 60s/70s stuff...........of which I inherited an entire houseful .............

judy and James Conrad like this.
  15. evelyb30

The top looks like late early 50s maple, but who knows.

judy and James Conrad like this.
  16. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

Having mentioned what I did regarding the finish on the base/legs, I should have completed the thought with "I think the top is possibly a replacement".........but that thought wandered off into Lost Thought World until you mentioned it and called it home again...........

judy and clutteredcloset49 like this.
  17. James Conrad

Yeah, good point, it does have that 50s look to it, heavy, colonial and hard maple but, you're right, who knows. Value wise it really makes no difference if it's 40's or 70's.

judy likes this.
  18. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I'd go with the post-war colonial maple era on this one. If from the 70s or later, you'd likely see it made differently.

Mansons2005 and James Conrad like this.
  19. James Conrad

Yeah, i am goin with Brad on this one because he handles this era of furniture every day. Still, value wise i don't think it matters much.

Mansons2005 likes this.
  20. James Conrad

A couple of points, one is period & one isn't, one is queen anne the other william & mary, one is oval top the other is round top so really the only thing they have in common is, both have splay legs :)

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
Draft saved Draft deleted