Decorative Knife Identification?

Discussion in 'Militaria' started by threelegmeg, Apr 18, 2017.

1. threelegmeg

threelegmeg New Member

So i've had this knife for quite a while, and i know very little about it. I think its copper based on its oxidization in the stamping. I got it from a VERY old Veteran who said he got it overseas, though i don't remember where or when. I think its some sort of recreation peice because of what i THINK is crude welding near the base of the blade (im no welding expert). One one side, its stamped with '1821', the other has writing i don't recognize.

0417172046_HDR.jpg 0417172046a_HDR.jpg 0417172047_HDR.jpg 0417172047b_HDR.jpg 0417172048_HDR.jpg

Joshua Brown likes this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

it's a souvenir...

Joshua Brown likes this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome threelegmeg.

It is a brass commemorative dagger-shaped letter opener of the Greek war of independence against the Turks, which started with the Revolution of 1821.
    It dates from a later period and would have had a decorated scabbard as well. The writing says Ἑλλάς, Hellas, the old name for Greece.
    Here is some info:
    https://www.ahistoryofgreece.com/revolution.htm
    Note that Laskarina Bouboulina, one of the women heroes of the revolution, has a dagger like yours (a real one):
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
  4. Mat

Mat Well-Known Member

Any Jewelry, I agree fully with your explanation, but the thing Bouboulina is wearing is rather a gun, not a dagger... This decorative piece looks like a copy of a "Pala", a sword used in the Greek revolution...

judy, Bakersgma and Joshua Brown like this.
  5. threelegmeg

threelegmeg New Member

Thank you for your help! I was pretty sure it was a recreation knife but i wasn't sure what it was exactly or what it was used for. Souvenier or not, i think its pretty cool, regardless of its lack of age ^^

judy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted