Featured deco cobalt blue depression and chrome tray - worthpoint help

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Rclinftl, Apr 19, 2023.

1. Rclinftl

Rclinftl Well-Known Member

I just nabbed this tray today at a thrift but I am still at work and can't take my own pics yet - but I found an identical one on worthpoint - anyone know anything about who it was made by? I expected the chrome tray to be stamped Chase but it is not... the glass reminds me of the chevron cobalt depression wares but thats just a stab in the dark... also if anyone has a worthpoint account and can tell me how much it sold for it would be greatly appreciated...

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vintage-art-deco-cobalt-blue-glass-472893884

cobalt3.jpg 1_394ca7df5377a80ddd01fd12b1a6355a.jpg
    cobalt.jpg c.jpg

cxgirl, Figtree3, judy and 9 others like this.
  2. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Last edited: Apr 19, 2023
    cxgirl, Figtree3, judy and 3 others like this.
  3. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

Way snazzy!

judy and Rclinftl like this.
  4. Chinoiserie

Chinoiserie Well-Known Member

One might go as far as calling it 'mega'.

Lovely looking item and love the functionality. Works as a serving tray then all the sections come off and act as coasters. Great!

5. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

That is quite snazzy.

judy, Rclinftl and bercrystal like this.
  6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

And if yours isn't a repro....BINGO! Even repop goes for a good bit.

judy, Rclinftl and bercrystal like this.
  7. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

8. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

$64.00 (2013)

cxgirl, Figtree3, bercrystal and 3 others like this.
  9. Rclinftl

thanX for all the help folks ! it really is a showpiece ! it may be a Bel Geddes copy but this thing definitely has age - it is not some new china reproduction - I am still very curious as to who was the manufacturer - the glass quality is great - it's not cheaply made - someone had to make it long ago - every run acroos it before TallCakes ?

cxgirl and judy like this.
  10. Rclinftl

here is a few pics... the trays are made so that the top lip overlaps the metal - and they are ridged all the way around and on the bottom - they are very well made - not like sloppy reproduction depression glass from china... someone had to make it...

tray7.JPG tray8.JPG tray9.JPG tray10.JPG

cxgirl, Figtree3, bercrystal and 2 others like this.
  11. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

What a beauty! Good luck with it!

PS I wouldn't let that tray go for a mere $63, it's worth much more.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2023
    judy and pearlsnblume like this.
  12. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

haven't seen these around but do see multiple references to the design as Manhattan by Revere of Rome, NY and introduced c1935; Some mention that early pieces were not marked and also reproductions c1940s.

judy, cxgirl, Figtree3 and 4 others like this.
  13. silverbell

silverbell Well-Known Member

Manhattan! Methinks that is it!

14. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Boy, that chrome tray is in wonderful shape, often on pieces like this the chrome is pitted. And that blue glass is perfect with it, makes it sing :D

judy, Figtree3, Rclinftl and 2 others like this.
  15. Rclinftl

for anyone who cares or is following this - I did some research and according to the MMA Bel Geddes designed this tray which is called Manhattan in 1935 - it was PRODUCED from 1939-1941 - Hocking produced the Manhattan depression glass line starting in.... drumroll: 1939....
    https://www.artic.edu/artworks/184673/manhattan-cocktail-set

judy, cxgirl, Figtree3 and 4 others like this.
  16. pearlsnblume

I bet someone who loves old barware would snap that up in a minute.

judy, cxgirl, Rclinftl and 1 other person like this.
  17. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

cool piece Rclinftl:)
    The Manhattan pattern was never made in blue. They did make Park Avenue in blue, 1987-93, but don't think the blue is the same.
    Imports - 1 of 1.jpeg Untitled - 1 of 1.jpeg

judy, Rclinftl and pearlsnblume like this.
  18. Rclinftl

yup - I was trying to show the correlation in the movement - all things 1939 - the patterns don't match either - I still feel like my initial gut reaction is right - that it looks a lot like the chevron pieces that Hazel Atlas produced - Hazel Atlas produced a LOT more cobalt than Hocking - cobalt wasn't a big color for Hocking during that period - they did little in the way of Cobalt depression

cxgirl and judy like this.
  19. pearlsnblume

I lean towards HA too tho I have no source. The only other co I can think of could be Federal but again, I have no source for that either.

Rclinftl, cxgirl and judy like this.
  20. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

sorry, I wasn't sure:) I agree, the colour looks right for HA:)

Rclinftl and pearlsnblume like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted