Featured Deciphering a monogram (Marque) - help need

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Brian Warshaw, Sep 11, 2021.

1. Brian Warshaw

Brian Warshaw Well-Known Member

I bought this sauciere for centimes because it was pretty, intact, blue ad white. In my mind it is typically French, and I bought it in France; BUT...

The marque which is a lion in front of the sun, states 'TRADE MARK' in the Arabic alphabet. And the monogram is (I think), GBI and maybe a J:

Does anybody know the manufacturer? I'm not to sure where to start. It is made of earthenware, and carries no place of manufacture so was perhaps, made before 1891.

I saw a small covered dish today from the same set and didn't buy it. Will try tomorrow to do so. Help please:

C.jpg

D.jpg

E.jpg

A.jpg

B.jpg

2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Nice sauce boat. No idea, but the maker's mark would be reason enough for me to buy.

3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

The letters we use in English are from Latin not Arabic.

pearlsnblume and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  4. Brian Warshaw

@moreotherstuff that is the exact reason I bought it; but now I need to know more about it.

pearlsnblume and moreotherstuff like this.
  5. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

It is in English, so that may narrow the field.

pearlsnblume and Brian Warshaw like this.
  6. Brian Warshaw

Of course they are. That explains my poor spelling. But what about the gravy boat; any ideas?

pearlsnblume likes this.
  7. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

8. Brian Warshaw

@say_it_slowly Thanks for that information. The pattern is very close to it; but not quite the same. I could find nothing in the history of Longwy to suggest any link to the Mark I have. No sign of the English 'Trade Mark'.

I've emailed Steve Birks at thepoteries.org to see if he recognises it.

Incidentally at the same broccante last week I found two plates by IB.P.Co. 'Dragon' Brownhills Pottery that were made between 1872 and 1896.

bercrystal likes this.
  9. Brian Warshaw

Bought the vegetable dish. Slightly better image of the Mark:

G.jpg

F.jpg

I think the monogram is now 'LBG' running small to larger, and the possibility of an 'I' running over the 'G' and under bar of the 'B'. Although the 'L' could have an extension that goes over the 'G' and rests on the bar of the 'B'. All very confusing.

The design of the vegetable dish adds strength to it being European rathe than English.

What say you all?

pearlsnblume likes this.
  10. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

The only Lion and Sun I come up with is Iran/ Persian symbol. You would think that trademark would pop up easily as distinct as it is.

Brian Warshaw likes this.
  11. ValerieK

ValerieK Well-Known Member

Intriguing sauce boat, the shape looks early but the pattern and monogram look late Victorian. If this is any help, "The Arlecchino Antiqueshop" at https://dawn-ellmore.medium.com/the-history-of-the-uk-trade-mark-5f95d25ba155 has the following:

"Incorporation of the words 'Trade Mark' in a mark denotes a date subsequent to the Act of 1862."

This must refer to The Merchandise Marks Act 1862, which was the first UK law which made it an offence to copy another firm's identifying mark in order to mislead the public. A period 1862 - 1891 (after which the mark would have incorporated the country of origin) seems right for the pattern, and the UK is most likely for the firm, but the shape doesn't seem right for the UK market at that time. My best guess is a small but ambitious firm, maybe hoping to produce goods for export to Middle East, if that shape would appeal there. On the other hand, the lion and sun could be symbolic of the British Empire, with the idea being that the lion represents Britain and that the sun always shone on part of the British empire somewhere around the globe, a popular idea in Victorian times. Again, maybe produced for export. The tureen is a very standard shape for the period. I look forward to this mystery firm being identified.

12. John Brassey

John Brassey Well-Known Member

Nice item. Sorry I can't help

pearlsnblume likes this.
  13. LauraGarnet02

LauraGarnet02 Well-Known Member

moreotherstuff likes this.
  14. Brian Warshaw

@ValerieK Thank you for this very interesting information, hopefully the Potteries organisation may come up with something, but I shall also follow up with the successor Government Ministry that took over from the Board of Trade.

I'll keep you informed, thanks again.

15. Brian Warshaw

@LauraGarnet02 I'll send a photograph tomorrow. In the meantime, I have sent an email to the French seller of a similar sauciere but that made by GIEN. The only real difference I can see is that different buildings are illustrated.

16. Brian Warshaw

@LauraGarnet02 The sauciere is all one piece, as is the body of and saucer of the vegetable dish.

Underside of gravy boat, exactly as the GIEN version. H.jpg

LauraGarnet02 likes this.
  17. Brian Warshaw

The Marque on the French version of the sauciere, which in my heart of hearts I believe to be the original design, was first used in 1875, and is half-way between The Merchandise Marks Act 1862 and the 1891 US import restrictions for the country of origin mark.

18. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Your mark could be a retailer's mark. They could have ordered the pattern ("Paysages") from Gien, but specially marked.

19. Brian Warshaw

A good thought. I have asked the seller if it was possible GIEN had an association with and English company. Thanks.

If I were GIEN I would have still wanted my name on it.

20. LauraGarnet02

LauraGarnet02 Well-Known Member

Here is a set listed in Japan (I think) with only a retailers mark (and missing the Medailles Dor Faiencerie De Gien Diplomas D'Honneur Paysages).
    http://tsubamemarkt.jugem.jp/?eid=782#gsc.tab=0
    b19386a1005cd4e0a757ab251faf64b5--gien.jpg
    Along the way to finding that set in Japan with your pattern, there is a dead France eBay link on Pinterest that has the words "Chardon Rose" in the title. (Picture above snagged off Google Images.)

Draft saved Draft deleted