Decanter with stopper...does anyone recognize maker perhaps?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by wenna, Oct 12, 2016.

1. wenna

wenna Well-Known Member

This is an attractive decanter with ground stopper and ground neck. 12.5" to top of stopper and 5" at widest point. 'Melon' shape; 8 sections/panels. Fire polished pontil. I can see wear on the bottom (doesn't show up well in the photo). Can't find similar online. Does anyone recognize this? Maker, time of manufacture? There are no marks. Is this just a generic decanter? Thanks for looking!
    IMG_2433 (765x1024).jpg IMG_2435 (1024x765).jpg IMG_2438 (1024x765).jpg IMG_2437 (1024x765).jpg

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Very nice, I would put it in the mid 1800s.

3. wenna

wenna Well-Known Member

Really??? Should I run this by the Flint Glass group on facebook? It's very heavy and doesn't 'sing' like flint does (function of the shape/size?). I have lost my perspective on pieces like this...

4. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Can't hurt.
    I could be wrong.

5. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

I would think newer. If you have a short wave UV light check for lead. Can you tell if the interior bulges like the exterior or is straight?

6. wenna

wenna Well-Known Member

I did look at this with a UV light...glows green. I believe the interior is straight but I wasn't looking for that. I'll confirm later.

Draft saved Draft deleted