Featured Dayak shield

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by poisson-rouge, Sep 12, 2023.

1. poisson-rouge

poisson-rouge Member

Found at an upscale thrift store for $50. It is light as a feather and cool af. I bought it for my partner for his birthday with the idea of enjoying it until we're able to repatriate it, but I have no idea how to do that. Tbh I'm not even sure what it's worth.

I wasn't familiar with Dayak shields before finding it and figured it out through a rapid google search. Any info on the shield welcome, including ideas on repatriation or selling to a museum! 9973EC23-C889-4501-B91B-85C216161803.jpeg

2. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

This looks like a repro/tourist/decorative item to me... but this is not an area where I have any real knowledge. I look forward to seeing what others say and learning something new. :)

pearlsnblume and komokwa like this.
  3. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

It's very cool.

What does the back look like?

4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

[​IMG]

I wouldn't be bringing that to a museum any time soon..

5. poisson-rouge

poisson-rouge Member

I don't follow

6. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

7. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

Any info on the shield welcome, including ideas on repatriation or selling to a museum!

Hmmm...repatriation sounds good an' noble. Selling to a museum doesn't, somehow. So I'm hopelessly confused, here.

8. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

As @bluumz says: it's possible this is a tourist item. If it's hand carved, I'd guess a fairly high-end item, but possibly with not much age.

If it's something appropriate for repatriation, you'd probably be looking more at a charitable tax deduction than money in hand.

9. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I dont see real signs of wear,or maybe someone refinished it. That being said,its terribly decorative ! I like it a lot. Cleaned and with a nice polish it'll make a wall . :)

Gus Tuason and Potteryplease like this.
  10. poisson-rouge

poisson-rouge Member

Thanks. It is hand carved from a single piece of super light wood (I'm guessing jelutong). It does seem to be at least vintage, 1950s-1940s. The back has an handle carved from the same piece of wood. Will post a picture of the back tomorrow.

Can you guys tell me what you all are seeing that speaks to tourist item? Is it the fact it's carved or on the smaller side? I get that it doesn't look like the picture @komokwa posted but I've seen many similar ones. The ones I've come across that appeared to be obviously tourist items were flat or had very shallow carvings or effects to make them appear older than they are. Also not necessarily looking to make money off repatriating, though if it's of little value it wouldn't be worth the effort. Right now I don't even know where I'd get it appraised.

11. poisson-rouge

poisson-rouge Member

Yeah, I like it a lot, too! It does have a fair amount of subtle wear, including a large piece on the right side that's been glued back in place. Will post more pictures tomorrow

johnnycb09 likes this.
  12. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

I doubt that this "shield" is of historic significance, or ever used. It is more likely to be an artistic rendering made for sale.

The Dayak used their shields to deflect spears and sword blows. Elaborate and deep carvings such as on this object would not be effective, tending to catch weaponry rather than redirect it.

"Shields were usually plain but could be elaborately painted on both sides." (emphasis added)
    https://static1.squarespace.com/sta...ing+and+Defying+Death+by+Steven+G.+Alpert.pdf

Here are Borneo shields held in the collection of the British Museum for comparison. Note that none are elaborately carved -
    https://www.britishmuseum.org/colle...l=wood&view=grid&sort=object_name__asc&page=1

13. komokwa

imo, it is not something a museum would consider , because it is not an authentic antique .
    It is a ...very nice....tourist carving...without considerable age .

johnnycb09 likes this.
  14. komokwa

I've seen many similar ones.

I have not .

There are some that may lead one to think that they are somewhat similar.... but I'm not seeing any like yours , so far....

so please show us some of the ones that u think are similar to the one you have.

I see this one to be very similar in design of carving.....but of much greater finesse , and I'd think much older.

http://www.tribalartasia.com/Tribal Art Asia Dayak Tribe/LATESTDAYAK/DAYAKSHIELD.html

This one is carved.....with notches like yours........but the carving design and workmanship are totally different.....as well as the age..

https://www.invaluable.com/auction-...-dayak-polychrome-wood-shield-75-c-2a541e8a3b

2manybooks likes this.
  15. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

Some of you may remember when I found one of these shields.
    Mine looks a lower relief, not really very light in weight, handle is a separate piece on the back. Think mine is a decorative item and yours is too and as others here have said not of interest to a museum. Put in on a wall and enjoy it:)
    IMG_3449.jpeg

16. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I'm with the others, a very nice item made for sale. Dayaks, like everybody else on the planet, need to make a living.
    The sale can be export, tourism, or local. Local sales would be to public buildings like town halls etc, hotels, and private people who want a decorative item which is relevant to their region.

We have had someone else on the forum who wanted repatriate an Indonesian item that was made to be sold/exported.
    I think Indonesians would be very confused. It could even be regarded as a lack of appreciation for their crafts, which could come across as an insult.
    So please enjoy it in your own home.:)

Draft saved Draft deleted