Dayak? container, and what could it be for?

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by JohnNL, Dec 28, 2017.

1. JohnNL

JohnNL Well-Known Member

This oval cylinder shaped container/box i bought together with some decorated dayak bamboo tubes and 2 dayak poison blowpipe containers. Don't know the material, ratan?, except for the carved wooden bit. So the top of the lid is open! So what could it have been used for? Any ideas? And although i think it probably is: is it Dayak? And who knows, maybe even a further specification?
    The container is about 14 cm high. I didn't detect anything to tie it to, for instance, your waist. There are also no traces of anything it contained. Sorry only one picture, but it's a box, so the lid comes off.
    I'll add a picture of the other tubes as circumstantial 'evidence'. :) I think they are Ngaju Dayak.
    In the same batch also a little (12,5 cm high) double basket (1 as a lid) woven from very fine plant material. I'll also add that pic. Can someone confirm that this is also Dayak, mayby? Or am i putting to much into one thread, now?
    IMG_0405klein.jpg IMG_0401klein.jpg IMG_0411klein.jpg

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

The floral decoration on the lid of the box is culturally Javanese, which means you can find the motif in Java, Madura, Bali, and among the Lombok Balinese.
    Maybe a lidded box for betel leaves (sirih), which need fresh air to prevent mould? I'll see if I can find it in one of my books. Are the bamboo slats tied close together, or are there slits between the slats?:playful:
    Dayak motifs are more stylized, very elegant, but no flowers. Many of their circular containers are medicine containers. I wouldn't recommend keeping powders etc in this box.;)

judy likes this.
  3. JohnNL

JohnNL Well-Known Member

Very good clue about the floral motive, anyjewelry. Also for betel leaves makes lots of sense! Far better thsn powder indeed :)
    Thnx a lot already, and i hope you can find some more clues in your books! Are you specialicing in indonesian artifacs?
    O yes, the slats are pretty close together. No slits.

judy likes this.
  4. Any Jewelry

I seem to be on this forum.:)
    When it comes to Indonesia, I specialize mostly in Javanese and Madurese keris. But being Indisch/Dutch Indonesian, and having had an Asian antiques shop, I always came across a lot of Indonesian items, and still do. I studied Indonesian language and culture, and am still studying traditional Javanese/Madurese spirituality and mysticism. A lifelong study.
    I also love anything connected with the East Javanese Majapahit culture (Medieval), this kind of thing:
    [​IMG]

5. JohnNL

JohnNL Well-Known Member

Nice to get to know a bit more about your background and interests, any jewelry :)
    Hope to bring more indonesian stuff up in this forum, though probably not medieval (nor gold ;-) ).

6. JohnNL

JohnNL Well-Known Member

While checking on material of my 'ugly' chaps, i had another look at this container. The inside wall is actually lined with some kind of barky material. The bottom is also of wood, without lining ot holes. And like i said before the lid is wide open :)

7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

upload_2017-12-28_14-37-6.jpeg

do they look like these PNG lime pots.....

judy likes this.
  8. JohnNL

JohnNL Well-Known Member

No, the bamboo tubes are really carved out, with the decoration, mainly leaf scrolls.
    Like this one http://collectie.wereldculturen.nl/Default.aspx?ccid=916109&lang=en
    There are more like that when you search on Ngaju bamboo.
    Aren't the ones you show from timor? I just got one similar one, with a more simple decoration, which i thought was from timor. IMG_0815klein.jpg

judy likes this.
  9. Any Jewelry

I think only the first lidded pot and the basketry container are John's, the second picture was only for comparison.

Edit:
    Oops, brainfreeze, those are his. Dayak imo, as John said.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2017
    judy likes this.
  10. komokwa

Yes, I'm sorry for the improper attribution..Timor is more in line with the decoration.

judy likes this.
  11. JohnNL

JohnNL Well-Known Member

No worries! Happy with your help anytime :)

judy and komokwa like this.
  12. komokwa

thanks....I'm usually more on the mark.....but recent pain is distracting....& I'm too quick to post.......I'll try to calm down !!

13. Any Jewelry

Sorry to hear that komo, hope the forum gives some positive distraction from the negative distraction. I know it helps me.
    Don't worry, it is a way of bouncing ideas of one another and learning other things along the way.

komokwa, Aquitaine and judy like this.
  14. JohnNL

JohnNL Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Just found this box on art-pacific.com in an article about lombok baskets. Figure 5: Basket made of split bamboo and bark.

Different model, but first one i found with very similar build with the bark and little strips (of bamboo).

judy, komokwa and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted