Day of boredom. Part deux. 3 brooches.

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by popsycat, Apr 22, 2020.

1. popsycat

popsycat Well-Known Member

The one at the bottom tests a silver, paste stone. Bought in France. The one top left, bought in Scotland. I am leaning towards Germany or somewhere there for that one. The one top right is interesting as it could fool. About 18 years ago a man turned up at Newark fair, uk, selling replicas of arts and crafts jewellery he had manufactured for him. So I bought one as they were very good. I would have preferred a diiferent pin on the back. I will post the backs as well. The long one has a lethal steel pin.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2020
  2. popsycat

3. popsycat

4. popsycat

I don't know about anyone else, but when experts are talking about antique brooches or fabulous brooches on the Antiques Roadshow, I am screaming at the screen "turn it over so we can see the back" They rarely listen to me. The new brooch, do you think they were channeling Dorrie Nossiter?

Last edited: Apr 22, 2020
    Bronwen, komokwa, NewEngland and 5 others like this.
  5. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

The peacock eye one is a very good replica indeed. Bottom is a sash pin. If you han't said French, I'd have guessed that, trombone clasp and all.

6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Beautiful, popsy.
    Obb, I think popsy meant the new one is the one on the right. It looks like a Dorrie Nossiter style, and it has a fairly recent clasp.
    The brooch on the left could be period, with a Bohemian/Czech peacock eye cab. And agree, it looks German.

7. popsycat

Unfortuanately, I am one of those people who can't tell their left from their right. It causes no end of problems. The new one is on the right. Sorry. I think I have edited it correctly now.

8. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I can't add anything. Just wanted to say I really like these pins.

9. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I'd have snagged that peacock eye piece so fast....

popsycat and Bronwen like this.
  10. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Me too, even more as it's original.

popsycat and Bronwen like this.
  11. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Based on the position of the pin, surely the Nossiter style piece is meant to be worn the other way up, with the amethyst cab at the bottom?

12. popsycat

Yes it is. I positioned them correctly, but the person taking the photo, namely my partner of 52 years, is an inteferer and he repositioned them. I do not have a phone or anything to take a photo so I have to rely on someone else.

13. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Maybe you should tell him about gravity.:playful:

popsycat likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted