Davelco Clothes Iron, P.D.F. Mfg, Shelbyville, Indiana

Discussion in 'Tools' started by cow, Jan 3, 2024.

1. cow

cow New Member

Hi all. I have this old antique clothes iron.

IMG_20240103_111619.jpg IMG_20240103_111656.jpg

Mine is in pretty pitiful condition, and I'm not concerned about value or anything. I'm more interested in the company that made it. I can't find a speck of information about a company named Davelco, or a company named P.D.F. Manufacturing out of Shelbyville. It seems to be quite rare. Anyone heard of these companies or any other products they made? Or perhaps an approximate date of manufacture?

I found an identical iron on Flickr in pristine condition (or maybe a restoration), but there is no information about it, but that is the only thing I've managed to dig up. See here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/89558788@N03/24290580199/in/photostream/

Any ideas?

Last edited: Jan 3, 2024
    judy likes this.
  2. elarnia

elarnia SIWL

Based on the Flickr image, showing the plug going into the iron vertically, I suspect the iron was meant to be plugged into a socket above the ironing board or table. Makes the handle awkward to use in the normal fashion. Perhaps it is for a tailoring shop or cleaner’s.

judy likes this.
  3. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

I found one 1945 Indiana newspaper ad HERE for a store retailing Dovelco Electric Irons, no further info. Seems they were simply a small local company.

judy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted