Dating a quilt found in circa 1920 cedar chest

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by Rolabeanhair, Jan 27, 2023.

1. Rolabeanhair

Rolabeanhair New Member

Having a hard time finding anything equivalent in my search to learn when / where this "quilt" was made. Calling it a quilt - covered with a natural gauze-type material with wool felt batting (has a New Material tag with RN 2796), and tied with yarn, 64" x 84". It's been stored in a 1920s cedar chest - smells lovely... May have been purchased to protect contents (reverse side has some cedar blemishes.) I've gone as far as asking the Fed Trade Commission for the date that the wool manufacturer had applied for its registration number (required as early as the 1940s.) Any input into its history is greatly appreciated.

draped quilt.jpg folded quilt.jpg front side.jpg reverse side.jpg

Attached Files:

wlwhittier likes this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Can we see the tag, please?

3. Rolabeanhair

Rolabeanhair New Member

4. Rolabeanhair

Rolabeanhair New Member

Attached Files:

• tag.jpg
      tag.jpg
      File size:
      80.2 KB
      Views:
  5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Post-WWI for certain. Just don't ask me how much newer.

Rolabeanhair likes this.
  6. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

So that confirms that the "quilt" is actually a commercially made batting that never got used (I'm guessing on that last part.)

Rolabeanhair and tie.dye.cat like this.
  7. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Or a duvet missing its cover. Batting generally has no labels, speaking as someone who's made a few quilts. It only gets a label sewn in once it's sewn together in a commercial establishment.

Rolabeanhair and komokwa like this.
  8. Rolabeanhair

Rolabeanhair New Member

The questions continue...
    Found out the name of the manufacturer is Little Star Novelty Corp according to the Registry No. found on the Fed Trade Commission website. I've emailed the Fed agency, hoping to learn the company's location and date the registry number was assigned to them.
    Still unable to find anything equivalent to the "quilt" online.

9. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Sorry, but IMHO, I doubt this is worth the effort...
    Does it have sentimental value or something?

I did find THIS, circa 1959:
    (There are a few further mentions found in google books for Little Star Novelty dating from the late 1940s to the early 1970s.)

Screenshot (122).png

Last edited: Jan 28, 2023
Draft saved Draft deleted