Dating a Bedspread

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by RedHillRascal, Aug 24, 2024.

1. RedHillRascal

RedHillRascal Member

Hi everyone! I have this antique bedspread and I'm trying to figure out how old it is. Supposedly, it was made by two of my 5th great-aunts, Jane and Lucy. Jane died in 1819 and Lucy died in 1826, so if family tradition is correct, the bedspread should have been made before 1819. I'm trying to confirm or deny this.

It's very large and is made in three strips connected together. The edges are all fringed. Does anyone have an idea of when this could have been made?
    IMG_0590 Large.jpeg

IMG_0591 Large.jpeg

IMG_0593 Large.jpeg
    IMG_0592 Large.jpeg

2. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Gosh, without hearing your story, I would have thought machine-made mid-20th century! I look forward to seeing what others here say.

mirana, johnnycb09 and pearlsnblume like this.
  3. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I dont know about dating a bed spread but I once dated a comforter ! :) I had to ,sorry folks ! I also instantly thought machine made and fabrics arent my wheel house.

NewEngland and Bakersgma like this.
  4. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

We need to see some good closeups of the weave (good enough to see the characteristics of the yarn), how the seams between pieces are done, and the fringe and how it is attached. How wide are the sections?

mirana likes this.
  5. 2manybooks

6. RedHillRascal

RedHillRascal Member

Here's the best I could do! The bed is made in five strips (not three, sorry I mis-remembered):
    - Side panels: 95 inches x 15 1/4 inches
    - Center panels: 95 inches x 23 inches
    - Top panel: 14 1/4 inches wide

IMG_0616 Large.jpeg IMG_0614 Large.jpeg IMG_0617 Large.jpeg IMG_0613 Large.jpeg IMG_0615 Large.jpeg

mirana and johnnycb09 like this.
  7. 2manybooks

Thank you for the additional photos. They are not focused as well as might be ideal, but I think the yarns look like they may be handspun, with variations in the thickness of the threads. It looks like the foundation warp and weft are also "singles" (only one twisted thread). The pattern weft (the fluffier lengths floating over the surface to create the design) may be 2-ply (hard to tell). The long fringe yarns are definitely plied from more than one thread.

I cannot see if any of the photos you have posted include a seam between the sections. Can you see the stitches where they are joined? The fact that the coverlet has been assembled in sections may indicate that the weaver was working on quite a narrow loom, which would be typical of 18th - early 19th century handlooms. Just to clarify - there are two panels running the length of the coverlet in the middle, two narrower side panels/borders running parallel, and another section running across the width at the top (or foot) of the coverlet? And is the fringe on all four sides? (Sometimes in early coverlets the fringe is only on the sides and bottom. Don't want to tickle your chin while sleeping).

So far, I don't see any features that would disprove a date consistent with the family history. But I would like to see good photos of some of the stitching at the seams, if possible.

Take a look at the analysis of a somewhat similar coverlet in the link I posted above. It gives a good explanation of some of the history of American overshot coverlets.

bluumz and johnnycb09 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted