Date these chairs?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Kaiserpoo, Jan 20, 2024.

1. Kaiserpoo

Kaiserpoo Well-Known Member

Thinking of getting these. Any idea on the date? It have metal coil springs.

my guess late 1800 or early 1900? French

IMG_5193.jpeg IMG_5196.jpeg IMG_5197.jpeg IMG_5202.jpeg IMG_5203.jpeg IMG_5200.jpeg

2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Id guess more 1920s. Surprisingly I like the upholstery and it looks in great shape.

Figtree3, Kaiserpoo and judy like this.
  3. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Hard to say. A lot of similar made well into the 50s. Gut tells me that these are 20s or earlier. Later ones weren't usually as refined. The $300 price tag on the sofa is a bit high for a thrift store price but, it is in great shape, and way less than new. Probably much better quality as well. The fabric would not be my choice but, if you like it, that is all that matters.

Figtree3, judy and johnnycb09 like this.
  4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I would have said 30s too - first-generation Victorian Revival. Fifties stuff wasn't made as well. Buy for resale here and you'd be guarenteed to go backwards, but they're better made than new and if you like how they sit and the look I'd go for it.

johnnycb09 likes this.
  5. Kaiserpoo

Yeah it’s to buy to keep. I just prefer to get the real older stuff. Might still get it for Airbnb

johnnycb09 likes this.
  6. Kaiserpoo

Is that 1920 date based on the legs and wood or upholstery style? Cus it had multiple upholstery redone before based on the amount of nail holes on the wooden frame.

7. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The upholstery looks more 50s than 20s to me. It's the way the pieces are carved, or weren't. (hand-carved that is.) Are there holes under the front legs where castors once were?

johnnycb09 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted