Danmark sterling silver spoon marking

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Sidla, Oct 26, 2023.

1. Sidla

Sidla New Member

Please help identify the marking on silver spoon and the event. I know it is Lars (instrument) and Danish flag and think the event is soccer. Have seen posted in the past but now can not find. Sorry am having trouble posting pictures.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2023
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Welcome, Sidla. I'm afraid we can not be of much help without pictures.

kyratango and komokwa like this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

You might want to copy and save this for reference for a while....it helps when you're new!!!:rolleyes:

For Future reference, when posting images:

Each image MUST be UNDER 1 MB....
    There are instructions on site here on how to reduce the size of your image, if that is the problem......you are allowed up to 10 images per post!!! Here are some links to the instructions:

Try emailing them to yourself as "medium" size, they should then be under 1 MB!

If on the computer:
    https://www.antiquers.com/threads/posting-a-thread-and-uploading-pictures.15990/

If on an iPhone:
    https://www.antiquers.com/threads/resizing-photos-on-i-phone.35097/

And if on an Android phone:
    https://www.antiquers.com/threads/using-an-android-phone-for-pics-on-antiquers.41709/

As an added note, when you have your photos LISTED, BUT BEFORE you hit POST, please click on the wording that says to "INSERT EVERY IMAGE AS FULL IMAGE" !! That way, we're not clicking on little thumbnails, but get to see all of the images full sized!! Thanks! Remember, it takes a bit for MOST new members to get the hang of it, but it's really quite simple once you get used to it!!!" If you still have questions, DO

kyratango and Aquitaine like this.
  4. Sidla

Sidla New Member

Sorry not very computer savvy so trying my best
    Please help me identify mark under word sterling marking on Danmark sterling spoon.

Attached Files:

Any Jewelry likes this.
  5. Sidla

Sidla New Member

Sorry no post.

6. komokwa

1st pic good
    2nd way too small to see any marks.....

sorry

kyratango likes this.
  7. Sidla

Sidla New Member

8. Sidla

Sidla New Member

How to cancel a post?

9. komokwa

you can go to a post and edit it....
    but only a Mod can cancel a thread..

click on your post ....where it says ...edit !

kyratango likes this.
  10. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

The Viking instrument is called a "lur", pronounced as "loor".:) It is one of the national symbols of Denmark, and you're right, those are two intertwined lurs.
    Lars is a man's name.;)
    In between the horns of the lurs is a "langdysse", a pre-historic megalithic monument.
    I don't see anything related to soccer or a specific event, just a lovely spoon with national symbols.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Any Jewelry

I tried to tweak the photo with the marks, but it is too blurry to read them:

IMG_9318.jpeg

I think the rectangular indentation on the left isn't a mark, but rather the back of the megalithic "langdysse" in between the lurs. So we need a clear picture of the other marks.

I'll tag @DragonflyWink for you, she knows her silver, collects spoons, and has Danish ancestors.

komokwa, the blacksmith and Bakersgma like this.
  12. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

13. the blacksmith

the blacksmith Well-Known Member

Unless it is a tourist souvenir, I cannot see why they have put Danmark on it. If it is a souvenir, and all the signs are that it is, then being silver, if it is silver, it would have been quite an expensive souvenir! Denmark isn't cheap, especially silver. Looking at the bowl of the spoon though, I am thinking that it is in fact silver plated ?

Denmark abounds in monoliths and artifacts from the stone age, and the dysse are very impressive to see, as are the viking burial 'ships' at Lindholm høje. The lur being used from the bronze age through the viking era, and probably beyond.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  14. Any Jewelry

I was thinking the same thing.

15. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Both examples do seem to say sterling. (Not that they couldn't be wrong.)

16. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

To my eye, the only relatively clear thing in the marks images is 'STERLING'. Perhaps the OP might try taking a better pic, but if I were to guess by the fuzzy shape of the mark and nice quality of the piece, would suggest Copenhagen maker Hansen & Andersen...

~Cheryl

17. the blacksmith

Silver is often plated anyway as the silver plate tends not to tarnish like pure silver does.

18. DragonflyWink

Not sure I'm understanding your statement - pure silver anodes are used for electroplating, so the plated surface is .999 and of course it tarnishes. Personally, see no reason to believe this spoon is not sterling or that it's ever been plated...

~Cheryl

19. DragonflyWink

Here is one of my Hansen & Andersen souvenir spoons, though the mark is poorly struck:

hansen-andersen-spoon (1).jpg

hansen-andersen-spoon-mark-composite.jpg

~Cheryl

20. the blacksmith

@DragonflyWink, sorry my post wasnt too clear. :rolleyes:
    Rhodium is often used on pure silver, as it is harder and more scratch resistant, it also doesn't react with certain substances, like pure silver does, and usually doesn't tarnish like silver. Tableware is very often for this reason Rhodium plated. It also plates to a higher shiny finish than silver, but without the extra work.

Draft saved Draft deleted