Featured Danish Leather and Wood Chairs

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by bdp31770, Nov 30, 2023.

1. bdp31770

bdp31770 New Member

chair.jpg My parents bought these in Denmark, I think in the 60s though they may be older. My aunt visited us in Georgia and said they were worth thousands but didn't say much more than that.

They are about 2.5 feet from front to back, about 2 feet from the floor to the armrest, and its about 3 feet from the floor to the top of the back portion.

They are in good condition, no tears or scratches or excessive worn spots. I'm curious if anyone knows how much they are worth or how to find out more about them?

Thank you for any feedback.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2023
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

they have that Danish look , and I'd say MCM is not out of the question.
    If u can identify the maker, then they could be worth many thousands ..

Figtree3 and pearlsnblume like this.
  3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

5. 916Bulldogs123

916Bulldogs123 Well-Known Member

6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

It does. Only concern would be if they were knock-offs.

Debora

NewEngland and johnnycb09 like this.
  7. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Should've paid a little more attention to the old MCM 20 yrs ago-it totally rules the furniture univer$e.

8. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Who knew ??? I remember old folks being aghast at the prices of stuff they grew up with,now i know exactly how they felt.

9. bosko69

Prices on the real Scandinavian knocks the wind out of me-there's barely any other wood furniture that'll touch it.

10. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Welcome to Antiquers, @bdp31770 ! And good luck with the chairs.

NewEngland likes this.
  11. bdp31770

bdp31770 New Member

Wow... you all are amazing, thank you. I thought my aunt may have meant thousands of krone, not dollars, what I nice surprise. I looked under the seat, and the cushion, and don't see any labels. Is there any way to check if it's a knockoff? Thanks again.

Figtree3 likes this.
  12. bosko69

From what I can see (bein' a snoop !),the rest of your house looks exquisite too.

13. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

Those chairs are fantastic! I swear I just saw a pair in white for sale on fbmp. I assumed that they were modern repro’s of a classic design.

14. bdp31770

bdp31770 New Member

Thanks again for the feedback everyone... going to see if I can confirm they are real and not knockoffs. Have a few other pieces like this I will post as well.

15. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

One way of doing so is comparing them to other authenticated examples on the internet. Of sending photographs to an auction house and expressing an interest in consigning. ;)

Debora

16. mark737

mark737 Well-Known Member

The originals were made by the Swedish company Olof Persons Fåtöljindustri (OPE) and might have a tag like this on the underside, unless they've been reupholstered. If they were bought in the 60's I would guess they are not reproductions. As for values, the best place to look is auction results, such as on liveauctioneers.com, not asking prices on 1stDibs. As you can see, they sell for very nice prices. If I were looking to sell, I'd contact Wright Auctions in Chicago.
    OPE.jpg Auc.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted