Featured Damascene?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Jaime Riggs, Mar 3, 2019.

1. Jaime Riggs

Jaime Riggs Well-Known Member

Two brooches I ran across. I know Damascene is an inlay, and these kind of look like it, but I think the round one almost looks painted? And the other brooch I have no idea. Neither tested positive for gold.

52546745_780083685699828_521449690189791232_n.jpg 53241038_608456232936073_1752806682125139968_n.jpg 52550255_2101555786594645_3957324948900413440_n.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Likely Toledo Ware. Here's something similar to your flower pin, described as such on the internet.

Debora

mBiWlk5J6vYSsPA0mnYm3PQ.jpg

3. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Test the damascene with a magnet,actual Spanish damascene is magnetic.Spanish damascene is not inlaid, it is an overlay.

pearlsnblume and scoutshouse like this.
  4. Jaime Riggs

The round brooch is indeed magnetic. The leaf shaped one is not. So, Spanish Toledo Ware on the round, and the other just plain Toledo Ware?

judy and scoutshouse like this.
  5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Fyi, all Toledo Ware is Spanish as Toledo is the city in Spain where it was (historically) manufactured.

Debora

scoutshouse likes this.
  6. Jaime Riggs

Had no idea, was thinking like Ohio (can you tell I have blond roots?)

judy, Any Jewelry, komokwa and 2 others like this.
  7. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

@Jaime Riggs

The terms are interchanged in on the web and else where. The magnetic pieces are usually in a frame with "prongs" to hold the steel part.The costume jewelry flower is cast if base metal,non magnetic,and plated.The steel pieces are usually called Spanish damascene and the costume jewelry pieces are faux damascene.

8. Jaime Riggs

Thank you so much Hollyblue!

judy likes this.
  9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

The round brooch is real Toledo damascene, tiny pieces of gold sheet hammered into blackened steel. They also use silver sheet. It is probably 1960s-70s
    The other one is mass produced 'Toledo ware'. I don't think those mass produced pieces were made in Toledo, they could have been made somewhere else.
    Sadly there is often little difference in price between handmade and mass produced Toledo (style) jewellery. People don't appreciate craftsmanship.

Jaime Riggs and judy like this.
  10. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Yeah, first one is the proper job, second one is stamped brass made to look it.

Jaime Riggs likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted