Dali EA with Signature Question

Discussion in 'Art' started by Snowman Cometh, Aug 18, 2024.

1. Snowman Cometh

Snowman Cometh Well-Known Member

I recently saw the first print from Inferno with the stamped signature plus an EA and Dali's signature on the bottom. But, it was weird looking.

I've been told that Dali didn't sign any of the prints. EA's are of course different, they're the artist's proof. So, this might be real. However, every print from every artist I've ever seen has had one thing in common, the EA or edition number has been in the left corner, and the artist's signature has been in the right.

I did look up Dali EA signed Divine Comedy and a few did come up with the EA and signature switched. But, for some reason, the signatures look fake.

My questions are, does anyone know if Dali actually signed Divine Comedy EA prints? If he did, were they opposite of the norm?

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Prints that bear the Rives or Arches watermark with the infinity sign and have Dali's signatures, are fakes. Dali did not sign any prints after 1980. Fake Dali prints continue to circulate in the art market.

Dali signed his name in different ways as many artists do throughout long careers. Many of these signatures which were actual signatures by the artist's own hand however the images that were laid down on the same piece of paper with that real signature could also be considered fake.

Apr 18, 2017 — Having by now occasionally pre-signed his signature on blank sheets as a way of expediting the printing process,
    The Dali prints were in fact signed by Dali himself, under his own power and free will. The resulting images, though in the style of Dali, were not directly created by him.

( I can not validate anything above .. only posted as a minutia of what's out there..):woot::woot::wacky::wacky::wacky::wideyed::wideyed::wideyed::wideyed::eek:

I've been told that Dali didn't sign any of the prints.

you were told wrong.......
    but...
    the legends of what he signed.... or didn't sign..... continues to be discussed to this day !!!!

3. Snowman Cometh

Snowman Cometh Well-Known Member

This print is in a frame with backing and it came from a shop that put a few stickers on the back. Those stickers make me weary. So, there's no way to see what kind of paper it is on.

I've seen his signature many times, and when I see it on a print, I almost immediately believe it's fake. What made me even more curious about this one is the EA on the right and his signature on the left.

I personally own a complete set of the Divine Comedy. In the end, I spent less than $50 per print. They all have the signature stamp and they're individually matted. If it weren't for the leather cases with Italian writing they came in, they 100% match the description of a German set.

The print of this thread right now is at $500. If it's a real signature, it's worth it. But, there isn't much of a way today to know one way or another. The last thing that makes me leery of this print is, the EA and his signature look like they were done at the same time. The pressing and coloring of the pencil are almost exact.

Draft saved Draft deleted