Czechoslovak bronze lamp 1910?

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Dimitrov, Feb 20, 2024.

1. Dimitrov

Dimitrov Member

IMG_20240212_125939_694.jpg IMG_20240213_175332_661.jpg IMG_20240217_164437_703.jpg IMG_20240217_120901_654.jpg IMG_20240220_115044_089.jpg IMG_20240220_115010_230.jpg IMG_20240220_123325_342.jpg Hello! I bought this lamp from the flea market for $2..! The bronze body, the switch, the socket are in absolutely original condition! After a little restoration by me, the lamp received - new wiring, new plug, new walnut veneer bottom, and reupholstered with matching fabric shade! (the shade was in terrible condition!) I think this bronze lamp is from the Art Deco or Art Nouveau period? On the Internet, I found almost the same one, only with a glass lampshade identified as Czechoslovakia from 1910!? Am I dating it correctly? Greetings!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2024
  2. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Possibly a tad later. Not sure where the Czech designation comes from, as it didn't exist until 1918. Do you have a link to the lamp like it you found? Really neither deco or nouveau. Styling is traditional with some classical motifs. Nice find and you did a nice job on the shade.

3. verybrad

Dimitrov, Bronwen, wlwhittier and 2 others like this.
  4. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

Brad, he got it at a flea market...no pics.

Bronwen likes this.
  5. Dimitrov

Dimitrov Member

Yes, that's the guy I had in mind! There is no marking, but the style of the bronze body is similar. It is true that this one has a glass shade and a different socket, but they hardly used one mold for casting. There are probably many motives. According to the type of key that turns and the type of socket I think it's from the turn of the century? What date would you give? Greetings!

Bronwen likes this.
  6. verybrad

I was talking about the similar one. I don't know what the OP,s lamp bottom looked like before he put the wood bottom on but would like to see an orignal complete lamp bottom.

I think this lamp is most likely teens-early 30s. I do not think the glass shade original on the second one. That fitter just doesn't look right.

Dimitrov, Bronwen and wlwhittier like this.
  7. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

Agreed. Also with the shade work! Very well done!
    Sorry about the flea...

Dimitrov and Bronwen like this.
  8. Dimitrov

Dimitrov Member

I also think that the glass lampshade of the one from the Internet is not original! The bottom of mine is made of super old veneer, which I replaced with a new one!

Attached Files:

9. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

Great little lamp. Nice work on the restoration, too.