Featured Czecho Slovakia Decanter. help with dating.

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by 916Bulldogs123, Apr 3, 2024.

1. 916Bulldogs123

916Bulldogs123 Well-Known Member

Hi all, I found this little bottle or decanter from my favorite thrift store.
    The bottle is 7" tall and 9 1/2" with the stopper.
    I am not sure if the stopper is original and is broken. It looks good on it though.
    It has a rough pontil on the bottom. Hand painted flowers and some gold stenciling.
    Was wondering what you all thought. is there some age to it?
    Mikey
    100_1402.JPG 100_1406.JPG 100_1409.JPG 100_1411.JPG 100_1412.JPG 100_1414.JPG 100_1419.JPG

2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The style looks late 1890s to me, but it has Czecho-slovakia on the bottom. That's a post=WWI mark for certain, because the country didn't exist until then. The split name usually means a piece is earlier instead of later. I'm not seeing this enamel design being done a lot later, so...early 20s? A real glassie ought to show up soon and either confirm or tell me I'm all wet.

3. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Its twenties or thereabouts, based on an older bohemian style. That split mark was used on all sorts of stuff at the time, including jewellery.

4. 916Bulldogs123

Thank you both very much. So 1920s is older than I thought. Do you think that the stopper is original?
    Mikey

Chinoiserie likes this.
  5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Looks original to my eye. Reverses the bell-shape of the decanter itself.

Debora

916Bulldogs123 and Chinoiserie like this.
  6. Ownedbybear

Yup, it's fine, absolutely typical.

7. Chinoiserie

Chinoiserie Well-Known Member

I read that a good measure for an original stopper is the fit. If its a nice tight fit then it's prob the original. Might not work with a broken one though.

Nicely decorated..

916Bulldogs123 likes this.
  8. 916Bulldogs123

Thanks, I thought so but wasn't sure
    Mikey

Chinoiserie likes this.
  9. Ownedbybear

It’s absolutely a good indicator. If you can wiggle the stopper, it’s usually a replacement. Matches often have numbers too.

Draft saved Draft deleted