Featured Czech? Peacock? cobalt blue foil glass necklace

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by IvaPan, Jun 26, 2023.

1. IvaPan

IvaPan Well-Known Member

Hi guys!
    Last week found this necklace and wonder if it can be called "peacock" or just cobalt blue foil glass. Presumably Czech.
    Thank you for looking!
    20230625_150524 - Copy2 .jpg
    20230625_150638 - Copy2.jpg 20230625_150931 - Copy2.jpg

Figtree3, bercrystal, komokwa and 3 others like this.
  2. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

This is what peacock glass looks like:
    PeacockGlass.jpg

Figtree3 likes this.
  3. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

It’s not foiled glass, those look like submerged millefiori canes, scrambled ones.

Figtree3 and JenQ like this.
  4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The red ones have an aurora borealis finish on them. The whole shebang could be Czech easily enough, or have been made in the USA of imported beads. Or...?

Figtree3 likes this.
  5. IvaPan

IvaPan Well-Known Member

Thank you for your comments!
    So it is not peacock and not foil. I wrongly equated foil glass to somerso glass, will do more research on the difference.
    evelyb30, hereUvintage US made glass is quite inprobable while Czech on the opposite. History. Does not mean impossible, just improbable. Here vintage glass is overwhelmingly Czech. The red ones are AB for sure.
    Thank you again, very helpful as usual!

Last edited: Jun 26, 2023
  6. evelyb30

Two Iron Curtain countries at the time make sense. The Peacock eye glass I've found has primarily been Japanese. It doesn't show up often as it seems to be fragile.

IvaPan likes this.
  7. IvaPan

IvaPan Well-Known Member

Thank you, evelyb30!
    Yes, the Iron Curtain is the reason. Czech jewelry was abundant here while Western was totally absent, if something is found now, it is either after 1990 or if before, it was brought from abroad by the few who were allowed to travel, mainly communist nomenclature.
    The beads in reality are more bright emeraldish than on photos, for some reason my cell phone cannot catch the color. Remember Aqui complaining about the same, her cell camera not able to catch peacock color. The beads are quite heavy and look rather strong, though.
    Japan is as improbable as US.

Figtree3 likes this.
  8. IvaPan

IvaPan Well-Known Member

Some more pictures, the first one is the clasp. I see blue foil inside the beads. Plus submerged multicolor glass spots (sommerso ?), both are present 20230625_150619 - Copy2.jpg
    20230625_151021 - Copy2.jpg

Figtree3 likes this.
  9. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Figtree3 and IvaPan like this.
  10. IvaPan

IvaPan Well-Known Member

Thank you so much, OBB! :kiss::kiss::kiss:
    Your explanation and the link are both very useful! I was wondering where to find more information about sommerso technique.

So cobalt blue foil glass with scrambled millefiori canes will be a good description, right? I am not selling anything, just want to put things in their right places with the right names, want to make kind of nomenclature of the beaded necklaces I collect.

As it has AB beads, am I right to guess around 1960s or 1970s?

Last edited: Jun 27, 2023
  11. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

This is an unusual necklace! I've never seen beads quite like it. Gorgeous! 1960s plus or minus.

Always helpful to post a really clear photo of the clasp -- I like to see the clasp open, so you can see the part that fits in, and even a picture of the bottom of the clasp can be helpful dating. Ditto a photo of the necklace completely hanging as it would on a neck. All of these things help see the style of the piece, immensely helpful for dating.

I know you've got a photo of the main side of the clasp, that was so helpful.

I think a bead lover would go crazy for this necklace. Foil and millefiore cane slices as Bear said. It's very unusual. I would have grabbed this in a second!

12. IvaPan

IvaPan Well-Known Member

Thank you, Lucille! :kiss: It is even more vibrant and beautiful in reality than on my (not so good) photos.

You are so right, I just got crazy when I saw it and even before asking about the price I knew I should have it. Fortunately it was not expensive otherwise I would have had a huge dilemma as I have a rule on spending max 5 USD per item on my hobby, and 5 USD is absolutely the maximum. I am Dutch by heart and soul, apparently :joyful::joyful::joyful:

Absolutely agree with your remarks on the photos, I should have done more - of the open clasp, and of the necklace as it hangs on a mannequin. The issue is that I have neither a good camera nor a mannequin, I have to use myself as such, if needed :joyful::joyful: So I just go by with what I have and can do, knowing that it may pose difficulties to the knowledgeable people here, for which I sincerely apologize.

The clasp is of the type "box clasp" or "tab insert clasp" lavishly decorated as on the photo. And the necklace is double-strand, with quite sophisticated metal chain going between clusters of beads. Actually part of the chain can be seen on photo 3 of my first post, it is double secured, i.e. each element is connected to two other elements, don't know how it is called in neither language :sorry: :sorry::sorry:

Last edited: Jun 27, 2023
  13. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

It's a great piece. Even without a mannequin, a photo of the necklace laying flat like in an oval or circle on a plain surface, can give info. For example are these beads back to back, or is there chain with no beads in between (which it appears to be but is hard to see in your photos.) I'm really nit-picking here, but seeing the piece flat can give info. I think we know what is what with this piece, but always a good idea to add a photo of the necklace flat and not overlapping.

If you got this for less than $5, it was a total score. The beads are magnificent.

IvaPan likes this.
  14. IvaPan

IvaPan Well-Known Member

Thank you, Lucille, I will do it later today or tomorrow. You are right, of course.
    It was a package deal for two necklaces for 5 USD, the other one enamel and glass, again Czech, IMO. I am glad I was able to do so.

15. evelyb30

I think you got a bargain. I would expect to pay more for the beads, loose, than you paid for the whole necklace!

IvaPan likes this.
  16. IvaPan

IvaPan Well-Known Member

Thanks, evelyb30!
    As I am no expert, I try to avoid risks and buy only cheap stuff. Sometimes this strategy pays off, sometimes does not... In this case it did. With time and experience hope to become more confident to pay more for stuff that is indeed valuable.

17. evelyb30

Around here, sometimes real amber can be had for faux prices. Sometimes you hit dealers who have no idea which is what. I'd imagine Bulgarians know better. On the other hand, traders there might not know a Schreiner rhinestone necklace if they tripped on it.

IvaPan likes this.
  18. IvaPan

IvaPan Well-Known Member

Yes, it is rather hard to find cheap real amber here but it can still happen. Not often though. Czech glass is easier to find cheap as it is not considered valuable. Bakelite, on the other hand, has had its hey-day and thus even things that are remotely similar to bakelite, are offered and sold at high prices
    This is for sure. I doubt that there is a single person here (except me) who has heard of Schreiner jewelry left alone to be able to spot it. I also learned about it only thanks to this forum.

19. evelyb30

I ran into it elsewhere, but it's not one I know well. I found one once that the seller thought she had a Scare-Ruth-off price of US$30 on. Ruth (me) bought it anyway; it was unsigned Schreiner and sold on eBoo for multiple hundreds.

20. IvaPan

IvaPan Well-Known Member

Score for you! Knowledge always pays off, IMO. Sooner or later.

I doubt that I will be able to spot a Schreiner piece as such, I most probably will be drawn to its beauty regardless the brand. But I am not as risk taking as you are because I lack your deep knowledge and experience. So I would not pay 30 USD for something I buy only for its beauty no matter that it can turn out to be a treasure. This is something I work on - accumulate knowledge and experience, and hope to get more confidence in the future.

Off - do you mind if I call you "Ruth"?

Draft saved Draft deleted