Czech Cut Glass Urn Vase?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Brooke Anderson, Nov 7, 2020.

1. Hello again!

I recently purchase this pretty vase. I am calling it an urn vase but I don't know if that's correct? Also just really stuck on the center pattern? It's very very heavy, has a nice ding to it. Appreciate if anyone recognizes this pattern or any information. I am trying to get better at glass and then I feel like I take a million steps backwards! Much appreciated!

Cheers ~

IMG_9138.jpg

IMG_9139.jpg

IMG_9140.jpg

IMG_9141.jpg

Figtree3 likes this.
  2. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

If you are wondering what it sold for its sold for 74.00

Screenshot_20201107-221050_Chrome.jpg

3. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Often called celery vases here.

4. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

I have a small collection of celery vases and some day I will actually serve celery out of one to see what everyone says. Pattern could be Hobstar and _____. Something else.

Brooke Anderson likes this.
  5. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

The funniest ones here are those embossed with the word celery. They were nothing of the sort: it was a getaround because during and a bit after WW2, making decorative things wasn't legal!

Figtree3 and Brooke Anderson like this.
  6. janettekay

janettekay Well-Known Member

I may be way off here..but the "vase" looks molded to me..not cut.

7. thank you. Well I was off once again! lol Sigh.. Appreciate your help. I was wondering if the pattern had a name..but appreciate your help and photo! Cheers ~

8. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

Cold wailer time, again....(I hate doing this...So why do it you ask. To bring us all down to reality is my answer.)

This is not Early American Pressed (or cut) Glass.

This is a recent, 1980 to present, piece, made in Europe or The Middle East, for the American Market. It was pressed in a mold, then lightly cut (cross hatch) to satisfy the US Import requirements. Pressed glass is imported into the US in competition with American glass firms, and has an import duty on it. Cut Glass, however, has no local/native competition so it has no import duty, or at least less than pressed glass.

Its a nice piece of glass, would look stunning with flowers in it. Just not valuable antique American glass.

Draft saved Draft deleted