Cut Glass Pieces

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by dude, Dec 16, 2021.

1. dude

dude Well-Known Member

Hi,

I haven't had much luck with cut glass as far as rarity or resale, but I picked these up today since the color looked unusual, the edges were nice and sharp, and I didn't see or feel any cracks or chips. My cell camera continues to disappoint. They're actually something close to a lime green and sort of resemble (or pay be?) uranium glass.

Does anyone know who made them?

Thanks!

More pics on the way . . .

20211215_235708.jpg 20211215_235714.jpg 20211215_235705.jpg 20211215_235656 (1).jpg

Last edited: Dec 16, 2021
  2. dude

dude Well-Known Member

3. dude

dude Well-Known Member

4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I know it's a bitch to measure each item.......but it really helps us......

to help you !!!

nice pics btw...

pearlsnblume and dude like this.
  5. dude

dude Well-Known Member

Okay, I'll get on it right smartly then update. And thx for the pic kudos.

pearlsnblume and komokwa like this.
  6. dude

dude Well-Known Member

Okay so I'm not sure if I'm labeling the pieces or terms correctly, so bear with me and set me straight if I'm off with anything.

(Going from group pic here)

• The drinking glass is about 4" tall x 2.75".
    • The piece below that on the left, which looks like a bowl to me, is about 4.75" in diameter and 2" tall.
    • The footed, covered candy bowl is about 7.5" from base to diamond lid tip and 5" across.
    • The handled creamer or sugar server is 6.75" from outside handle to lip edge, 4.5" across, and 2.5" tall.

komokwa likes this.
  7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

it's a nice looking set....... I hope the Glassies can help you out..:)

8. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

9. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

10. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Looks to me like vaseline (uranium) glass.

pearlsnblume, dude and *crs* like this.
  11. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Agreed, have you checked them with a black light? If you don't have one put them in strong, direct sunlight, you should see a faint glow.

12. Verrefou

Verrefou Active Member

Definitely pressed not cut. Most likely reproduction of a McKee Glass pattern. Probably circa 1950-1970. Very pretty color. Have seen this in blue also.

pearlsnblume, dude and Darkwing Manor like this.
  13. dude

dude Well-Known Member

pearlsnblume likes this.
  14. dude

dude Well-Known Member

Here's a dumb question for not only you, but also the others who mentioned press versus cut:

Can't glass be both "pressed" and "cut"?

It's clear the candy dish is molded, but it also has the surface facets. Didn't some makers hand design on top of the molds?

15. dude

dude Well-Known Member

no black light yet but will be getting given my growing glass collection with pieces that could very well glow under one

16. dude

dude Well-Known Member

Judging from the info you all provided, looks like my main piece is a 1950s-70s Vaseline glass Kemple Hobstar and Fan Footed Compote/Candy Dish. Not sure what the book retail is, but it appears people are asking and getting at least 3-4x more for the Vaseline one than blue or other colors.

This person is asking $65 on eBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/194402752171?hash=item2d434e96ab:g:jJMAAOSwgCJhVS8D

A best offer from an $89 (could be any amount, really, but I tend to think they're at least half the asking price) listing was accepted: https://www.ebay.com/itm/133826451135?hash=item1f28ad96bf:g:LyAAAOSw9vZg3Jny

17. dude

dude Well-Known Member

Please clarify, TC. Are you saying you believe there are three different series of Kemple glass in the set? If so, which pieces are "Tec" pattern reproductions and which Yutec?

18. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

I concur about it being Vaseline glass.

I am also going to give the candy dish my standard reply, fill it with sourballs like grandma did back in the day and put it on the coffee table.:p:p

dude likes this.
  19. dude

dude Well-Known Member

I thought so!

pearlsnblume likes this.
  20. dude

dude Well-Known Member

:):D:p

pearlsnblume likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted