Featured Cut glass - general questions

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Northern Lights Lodge, Mar 16, 2024.

1. Northern Lights Lodge

Northern Lights Lodge Well-Known Member

Hi everyone,
    I have over the years accumulated a number of pieces of cut glass. I know that if they have a manufacturer's watermark or etching, that it would be much easier to figure out exactly what it is, from who and when.

So: I know there is a search site on Replacements - which in my case doesn't seem to be very helpful...

My questions are this: IS there a site which you can research ONLY cut glass on?
    IS there a site which identifies the pattern shapes - saw, star, fan, etc? Like replacements, but only does cut glass. It seems like the Replacement's site pulls up both pressed and cut on any given search...

Or is there a comprehensive book??

I don't think that the pieces I'm researching have any maker or watermark....
    Sigh...
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Cheerio,
    Leslie

2. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

3. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Finding marks on cut glass can be very difficult. Sometimes they are signed on the side of a cut, just under a handle or other sneaky places. Plus you need to catch them in just the right light to see them :(

Good luck with your search. Have you tried your local library? You never know if they have reference books for things like this. Or maybe your larger library network?

Is there a museum in your area that has a decent glass collection? Maybe they could point you in the right direction.

Northern Lights Lodge likes this.
  4. Northern Lights Lodge

Potteryplease and komokwa like this.
  5. Northern Lights Lodge

Thanks for your suggestions! I never dreamed they are on a side of a cut! I'll look! Our local library is pretty dinky... they do have an interloan... I'll check it out. LOL...no our museum is VERY small town! I'd be surprised if they have A piece of cut glass...

But thanks for your suggestions!
    Cheerio,
    Leslie

6. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

A trick. Breathe heavily on the base, that can reveal marks.

Northern Lights Lodge likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted