Featured Cushman light finish, unusual drawer pull

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Maryann Bacher, Nov 27, 2023.

1. Maryann Bacher

Maryann Bacher New Member

Does anyone know anything about this Cushman chest? The finish is lighter than on other pieces I have collected. And the pulls are different than those of most chests I have seen. Thanks. IMG_6975_Original.jpeg

judy, pearlsnblume and wlwhittier like this.
  2. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

My Aunt had one of those. Made in the 50's. That sure looks to be in great condition - maybe refinished?
    @verybrad should be able to give you information.

judy, komokwa and pearlsnblume like this.
  3. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Can we see any manufacturer marks or labels?

@Drew is our Cushman expert, hopefully he'll be along soon.

komokwa likes this.
  4. Maryann Bacher

5. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member

Yes, a later 50's into the early 60's looking piece (that tag was used 1942-64). It will likely have a model number impressed into the wood on the back. I may have reference material on this piece in terms of finish. Cushman moved away from the russet color used in the 30's & 40's. This looks like it was refinished, unless it was really cared for.

judy, verybrad and komokwa like this.
  6. Maryann Bacher

Thank you.

komokwa likes this.
  7. Maryann Bacher

I have learned it is from the Middlebury collection in Harvest Brown finish. Made from 1955 to 1958. My chest is 5554 and my dresser 5553.

judy, komokwa and verybrad like this.
  8. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member

Seems right. The harvest 'brown finish' would have been a light straw colored stain, and it looks from the photo have been stripped to the natural birch wood and clear coated. I honestly think it looks much better then the HB finish, looks like a good job was done.
    I collect the earlier Cushman of 1933-53ish with that russet finish... many collectors greatly prefer original finish being intact on these, but the later pieces lend themselves to what was done to your pieces. Very nice, well made classics from Vermont ! Here's a photo of the HB finish. 406280539_10223339403249312_7674683183665415607_n.jpg

Last edited: Nov 29, 2023
    judy, Rayo56, komokwa and 2 others like this.
  9. Maryann Bacher

judy likes this.
  10. Maryann Bacher

Thanks for the photo and insight into the finish.

komokwa likes this.
  11. Maryann Bacher

IMG_0396.jpeg IMG_0398.jpeg I found this description in a 1955 catalog for Cushman Contemporary and think my piece may be original with the same translucent finish used on the contemporary collection. I also found this descriptive label on a photo of a Cushman Contemporary piece.

Draft saved Draft deleted