Cushman chair

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Glenda, May 30, 2022.

1. Glenda

Glenda New Member

I have a no. 6185 Cushman chair that has the seat cut out. I would like to know if this was done in manufacturing or probably done later by the owner.

Attached Files:

pearlsnblume and i need help like this.
  2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

4. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

I'd say it was done later. I've never seen that spring attachment, either.

komokwa likes this.
  5. komokwa

could someone have turned this into a potty chair...?:wideyed::wideyed:.:eek:

pearlsnblume and Any Jewelry like this.
  6. Fern77

Fern77 Well-Known Member

You can see the slight unevenness of the cutout, and that there was another spring across. This was done by the owner to improve "seatability" . What's missing here is a horsehair and cotton felt cushion (and that missing spring bar).

Any Jewelry likes this.
  7. Glenda

Glenda New Member

It has a rough cut board to place over the spring. I thought the same about the potty chair idea but the hole is huge. I have a cushion over it, needs the other spring. What does this do to the value? I am thinking about selling it, no place to put it.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  8. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

Factory...as made! Probably a patent on the spring-strap suspension contraption. IMHO.

9. komokwa

r there no bracing wood rods for the legs ??
    I'd like to see a similar chair....;):wideyed::wideyed:

BoudiccaJones likes this.
  10. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member

No. 6185 is the Cushman 'Barrel Back Boudoir Chair' manufactured between 1936-43. The hole almost certainly done after, although it's not out of the question that Cushman custom made it for someone - they were a Quality family owned Vermont furniture maker. The spring slat looks of the era and is very much like the ones seen on their cushioned armchairs and couches, but two such springs would not support much weight. A typical sprung seat would have maybe 8-10 cross woven spring slats. I've collected Cushman for 25 years and not seen any such chairs from them.

Figtree3, Bakersgma and komokwa like this.
  11. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member

Hard to see in the photo but legs are mortised through & wedge inserted. Cushman was known for quality. I've had about 15 of their 1930's-40's chairs - some braced, some not.

Figtree3, Bakersgma and komokwa like this.
  12. komokwa

Yay DREW !!!:D

nice to see you !!;)

I just doesn't look right ...eh !

BoudiccaJones likes this.
  13. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member

No, doesn't look right really.... usually their side chairs often had no stretchers. I don't have a catalog photo of this chair, #6185, but looks like someone messed up a decent chair with a hand saw. . can't really see what was in their mind!

14. Glenda

Glenda New Member

I found a picture from a 1954 catalog online. I took a screenshot but am having trouble loading it on here.

15. Glenda

Glenda New Member

I agree on the handsaw thought.

16. Glenda

Glenda New Member

17. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Hi Glenda, images have to be under 1 MB, here are instructions for posting photos:

Here are instructions to upload your photos, please be sure to click "Full Size" on the little thumbnails, once loaded and before hitting "post":
    https://www.antiquers.com/threads/posting-a-thread-and-uploading-pictures.15990/

A quick tip on posting photos if you are using a smart phone. . .email them to yourself as 'medium' and it should resize them. Photos have to be under 1MB to post.

18. LauraGarnet02

LauraGarnet02 Well-Known Member

Is this the screenshot you were trying to get posted? The images at that website are extremely low resolution and I see they charge $20 per image for a high resolution digital file. It's possible that you could find a lot of old advertisements and catalogs at the internet archive website. High resolution and available to the public for free.
    Screenshot_2022-06-03-14-52-23.png

Figtree3 likes this.
  19. Glenda

Glenda New Member

Yes, that is it. I really wish they had not cut it out. It would have been very comfortable.

LauraGarnet02 likes this.
  20. patdaniel

patdaniel New Member

When we look at the cutting line on the chair, it seems that it was cut amateurishly.

Draft saved Draft deleted