Featured Curtains - I hate to undercut another seller, but this is ridiculous

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by Bookahtoo, Sep 29, 2020.

1. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

I have a pair of vintage curtains just like the ones in the link - a pair of embroidered white tambour curtains made in Japan still in the original package. The ebay seller's have two panels that are 43" by 90", I have two that are 43" by 63".

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-E...656750?hash=item339d9d312e:g:Bp4AAOSweltbDWtx

The are asking $365 for the pair.

What the heck? They are not that special - I was thinking maybe $20 for the pair?

Oh, and mine have a sticker on the package that says "Designed especially for Bloomingdale"

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Plus $11.95 for shipping. Always think that's cheeky. I think that these types of sellers assign what-the-heck prices just to see if they can get away with it. And they probably do sometimes.

Debora

3. Bookahtoo

Here are some crummy pictures of mine:

smallDSCN6907.JPG

smallDSCN6908.JPG

Figtree3 and Christmasjoy like this.
  4. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

I would have no problem listing at a much lower price than the linked auction.

5. Bookahtoo

Thanks Lucille.
    I'll have to! I can't justify anything close to that.

Usually when there's one or more of an item like the one that I'm getting ready to sell, I try price mine within a reasonable range of those prices.

I know I don't like it when someone lists something way, way below what I'm trying to sell it for. I just tell myself that they have the right to ask what they want for it.

6. wildrose

wildrose Well-Known Member

I list high if there are no comparable items. If there are some listed I price in the same range as the others. Hate to say it but you are in business to make money not worry about other sellers feelings.

7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

In the business to make money with integrity.

Debora

8. Bookahtoo

True, but I do business on ebay pretty much as I do business in person. I am fair and respectful with other dealers, and hope for the same.

KSW, Christmasjoy and pearlsnblume like this.
  9. wildrose

wildrose Well-Known Member

Well yes, I didn't mean to sound like a cutthroat. I am very respectful.

pearlsnblume likes this.
  10. Bookahtoo

I'm sure you are wildrose. :)

KSW, pearlsnblume and wildrose like this.
  11. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Maybe it’s a typo?
    I once emailed a seller politely to ask them to check their postage cost as £395.00 for a small parcel seemed excessive :hilarious:. I had a really shirty message back to say that was what it was going to cost them:eek:. They obviously thought it was £3.95 and I was being unreasonable. I messaged back to say there was a typo and never heard another thing:rolleyes:

CheersDears and wildrose like this.
  12. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

sometimes...when faced with this situation Book......you can use the much higher...( kooky) valuation...to bump up your $20......substantially ...without feeling too bad about it ! IMO..

CheersDears and wildrose like this.
  13. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Book, maybe you could start it at the lowest price you are willing to take, perhaps the $20 or so and then let the bidding begin and see where it goes.
    There are sellers that list things with very high prices for no apparent reason. And some who list things too low. I just bought something on ebay the other day for $1, I don't see how they could make any profit.

They are very pretty curtains. My grandmother had a tablecloth with a similar appearance that she used for holidays.

Christmasjoy and komokwa like this.
  14. Bookahtoo

Thanks all.
    I am in a mood today - I just want to get rid of everything! And that's saying a lot! :rage::rage::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

I have two sets of these curtains, and four matching valences. I think I'm going to just list them all together for $99. A good deal for them, a good deal for me. :)

KSW, Figtree3, Christmasjoy and 5 others like this.
  15. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Sounds about right - and a lot cheaper than brand new ones of similar quality. The person with the high price was drinking crazy juice before listing, always a bad idea. I usually try for a mid-range price with fair shipping. Some stuff sits there forever, but once in a while they fly out the door.

16. Bookahtoo

Thanks Ruth.

KSW and Christmasjoy like this.
  17. reader

reader Well-Known Member

Interesting conversation. I question “selling with integrity” in regards to pricing. I believe one should sell with complete honesty on the known details of any widget but if a buyer chooses to pay an absurdly high price for something, that’s capitalism and one’s personal choice. Any object is worth what it sells for at that specific moment in time only which is why we all have seen wildly fluctuating selling prices on seemingly similar items.

IMO Bookahtoo should price their curtains at a price that works for them regardless of any similar listings.

I’ve seen "crazy juice” listings sell time and time again.

18. evelyb30

Every once in a blue moon we get a real bidding war too. The seller started the item low-ish or at a normal price for the whatsit, and multiple bidders just had to have THAT one particular widget and ZOOM goes the price tag.

pearlsnblume likes this.
  19. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

I just saw a wild bidding war on an item, when a few other were listed in the same condition with reasonable BIN. I don't get it at all.

Figtree3 and Christmasjoy like this.
  20. evelyb30

I don't ask; I just hope they pay up before they wake up!

KSW, Christmasjoy and pearlsnblume like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted