Curious if this is antique, vintage or what

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Bry, Mar 8, 2024.

1. Bry

Bry New Member

Received this today and they used it for an entertainment center. I was going to use it for my sewing machine and crafts, but it is very short and not sure what it is even 20240308_133520.jpg 20240308_133520.jpg Screenshot_20240307-111610_Facebook.jpg

2. Bry

Bry New Member

3. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I'd say 1920s/1930s and it's been painted at least once. I think it was meant as dining room furniture originally, but it could have been a bedroom dressing table too. The chairs for same were often shorter than normal chairs. Are there marks/holes on the back where a mirror could have been screwed on?

Drew, mirana, Debora and 1 other person like this.
  4. Bry

Bry New Member

This is the back of it. Dining would make sence because I'm not even 5 ft and its super short
    20240308_193456.jpg

5. evelyb30

@verybrad ??? The back is wood and not some composite or other, so it's older. Anyone else have any bright ideas?

6. Bry

Bry New Member

I've tried Google image search so many different ways, but Google can't get past the color. Paint is chipping orange paint is chipping off, so been careful scratching it off whenever I get a chance and hopefully will update with better pictures

7. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Dimensions? If under 30" tall, it likely has been cut down. Circa 1920. Knobs are not original.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  8. Bry

Bry New Member

Its 24 in tall, so being cut makes sence because they did use it for the TV. Cute little thing just have no idea what to use it for now lol the angle she sent made it look a lot taller

9. DivasFinds

DivasFinds Well-Known Member

Ooohhh cute! With a different paint job anyways....my vote is dressing table/vanity but others on here are waaayyy more knowledgeable.

10. Bry

Bry New Member

Don't know if you'll see this, but found these hole in the legs. Would that be for wheels maybe?
    20240313_123242.jpg

Any Jewelry and komokwa like this.
  11. evelyb30

Yup. That would explain why this is so low - they took the wheels out. Or they fell out. That knocked about 2 inches off of it. THe wheels were for pushing the piece aside so a maid could clean under it. Coal furnaces and all that.

komokwa likes this.
  12. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Bakersgma and komokwa like this.
  13. Bry

Bry New Member

Yes I would and thank you so much!

14. Bry

Bry New Member

15. Bry

Bry New Member

Getting around to carefully strip this and the one part that was painted directly over the wood and not varnish was the one with the marking. Woods actually really pretty

Any Jewelry likes this.
  16. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

17. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

The writing on the back (VAN) suggests this is a vanity.

komokwa and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted