Curious about hand carved table

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Skullzz, Apr 29, 2018.

1. Skullzz

Skullzz New Member

I went to the flea market near my home on Saturday and I came across a small table with a drawer. I don't know why, but I am really drawn to it. The vendor could only tell me it was old, handmade and pine. Any thoughts on time period?
    rps20180429_203600.jpg rps20180429_203808.jpg

judy likes this.
  2. Skullzz

Skullzz New Member

3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

To my eye, it appears to be a newish end table imported from México. Others will have an opinion.

Debora

4. Skullzz

Skullzz New Member

Thanks for reply! I know very little about furniture and even less about antiques....so you could be correct. While I was cleaning the dust off, I looked over every inch for a name....brand, initials or country. There is absolutely nothing written or stamped on this piece.....anywhere. For arguments sake, if newer and from Mexico, wouldn't it have some type of marking indicating such? Again, I do not know much but am trying to learn.

judy likes this.
  5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

No, it wouldn't necessarily be marked. Sweet table, by way. Can see why you were attracted.

Debora

Skullzz likes this.
  6. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I agree with newish Mexican (could even be 60's-70's),but it has a great look none the less. I bet it weighs a ton!

judy and Skullzz like this.
  7. Skullzz

Skullzz New Member

Thanks for replies! Yes, it is very heavy! I wanted to clean and fix it up a bit but wanted to check before I go messing with it. Probably will take it somewhere and have it done....leave it to professionals lol.

judy likes this.
  8. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

But the little CLOSE-UP you did of the LEG DOES IN FACT (I think) have some kind of NAME STAMPED on it!!!! Can you take a better close-up of THAT!!!!! Thanks!!! That would help!!!!!

EDIT:!! Well, It sure looked like it had a stamp.......maybe it doesn't after all.......sorry.....was hoping it did!!!!

OH, and WELCOME to the Forum, Skullzz!!!!!

Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
    judy likes this.
  9. Skullzz

Skullzz New Member

I can't see where you mean on the leg.. I can get closer but what area are you referring to on the leg? By the flower? Above it? Below....?

10. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Don't think it's as old as 1960s or 1970s. I spent a lot of time in México during those years and -- again, to my eye -- looks much more recent. That decorative dowel treatment, for instance...

Debora

11. Huntingtreasure

Huntingtreasure Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Forum, Skullzz!
    Lovely table! Now that you’ve got the collecting bug, I look forward to more of your finds! :)

judy and Skullzz like this.
  12. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

It was below the flower on the very lowest part of the foot.....but the more I tried to see it....I'm not so sure it's anything........

z20180429_204006z.jpg

judy and Huntingtreasure like this.
  13. Skullzz

Skullzz New Member

Ok let me have another look

14. Skullzz

Skullzz New Member

Just scuffed it appears. rps20180430_000245.jpg

judy likes this.
  15. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Agree, rather new and from Mexico. Better quality than what is often seen.

Draft saved Draft deleted