Curious about an embroidered folding fan I found

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by squarecoats, Feb 16, 2022.

1. squarecoats

squarecoats Member

1645030542860222.jpg Hi everyone,

Preface: I'm new as I've just found this site trying to find information about folding fans. I hope it's ok to post my query here.

Also, I know pretty much nothing about any kinds of fans, so please doubly bear with me on both counts if possible!

The fan: made primarily from wood and cloth. The wood is pretty simple, only especial detail to me is two small petals carved through the piece that would lay on top of the fan if closed.

The fabric seems similar to linen or ramie, though more stiff. It's a loose-ish almost a bit coarse of a weave. Has two tone pattern, to me resembling cherry blossom motif, very faded lighter blossoms on color background. Also a white character off to one side, I think Japanese or Chinese? But of this too I'm super ignorant. Raw fabric edge on bottom and narrow strip resembling paper tape along the top.

The embroidery is a more or less detailed/shaded depiction of a cluster of cherry blossoms (or similar flower) at the end of a branch, a couple more blossoms here and there. I think 2 colors of thread used for flowers, 2 for leaves, 1 maybe 2 for branch. My mom and I were just mulling over the stitching a bit and think it's most likely done by machine since there's no knots we can find.

My overall impression is a sort of a rustic overall aesthetic though which I think is why I'm interested in if there's anything to know about it. Though it seems unusual to me I'd be surprised if it was valuable. I guess I'm wondering if anything about its construction strikes anyone more familiar with fans as interesting.

I feel embarrassed to post photos (which is probably foolish and maybe tedious of me, hopefully not too much the latter). On the chance though that the symbol is a brand or signature or the like I'll try to post a photo of it. (and if this fan seems interesting to anyone I'll then feel less embarrassed to post more photos if requested)

Thank you so much for taking the time to read or skim this and I appreciate any thoughts!

Phoebe

2. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Hi squarecoats!

Welcome to Antiquers.................:cat:

We do have a member here who knows fans. She will need pictures though.

I'll tag her for you.

@Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry, bercrystal and kyratango like this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I feel embarrassed to post photos

we live & die by clear crisp photo's.........;)

if we can't see it....it lessens any help we may be able to provide.....:(:(:(

don't tie our hands.....help us, to help you !!:):)

judy and bercrystal like this.
  4. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

Hello @squarecoats & welcome to the forum. :happy::happy:

Please do post a full photo front & back. Also a close up of any decoration or design & a close up photo of the wood pieces. I truly doubt that even @Any Jewelry can tell much from this one photo. :happy:

5. squarecoats

squarecoats Member

IMG_20220216_0643182.jpg IMG_20220216_0609462.jpg IMG_20220216_0623072.jpg IMG_20220221_105548.jpg IMG_20220216_0620542.jpg IMG_20220216_0618142.jpg IMG_20220216_0627082.jpg Hi everyone, thank you so much for your responses!! I will do my best with these photos!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2022
    Any Jewelry, Figtree3, Fid and 2 others like this.
  6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

[​IMG]

bamboo & cotton...
    blossoms and Chinese knots on the lanyard..

I'm thinking 1980's..... but could be earlier and not used much...

Figtree3 and squarecoats like this.
  7. squarecoats

squarecoats Member

Thank you!! in fact the wood has snapped in several places and it won't close all the way, but still seems quite sound and sturdy. Many thanks again!

komokwa likes this.
  8. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

squarecoats, Any Jewelry and komokwa like this.
  9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Thanks for the tags, everyone. I was waiting for the fan.:yawn::playful:

It is a sweet fan, but since it isn't antique or handmade, it isn't my area of expertise.
    It is Chinese, but the mark is not significant for value or relevant in any other way. I don't read Chinese, but it probably says something like 'springtime' or similar.

The fan is mass-produced, I would guess 1960s-70s, but as I said, modern mass-produced is not my area of expertise. I do buy them for use on hot days, and this is one I would have bought.:)
    The frame is bamboo. The embroidery on the leaf is machine-made, as you and your mother thought. The design is well-balanced and pleasing to the eye.
    The 'eternal knot' is a usual feature of Chinese tasseled fans. I like the fancy knots at the ends of the cords, most cords have long tassels.

squarecoats, KSW, bercrystal and 2 others like this.
  10. squarecoats

squarecoats Member

Thank you so much for your input about the fan and also for saying nice things about it :)

I was thinking to display it somewhere in my apartment which is, however, quite cluttered. But I'm feeling inspired now to set it aside for use this summer! Maybe I can find or make a case for it.

Thank you again to everyone for your responses and making me feel very welcome here!

komokwa, bercrystal and Figtree3 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted