Featured Cunard Line Aquitania Chromolithograph on Canvas

Discussion in 'Art' started by vitry-le-francois, Aug 18, 2024.

1. vitry-le-francois

vitry-le-francois Well-Known Member

Just wanted to share this wonderful old print (chromolithograph?) on canvas of the RMS Aquitania. This, for me anyway, is one of the more interesting/coolest purchases I've made at auction. Before airplanes, these gorgeous ships were the only way to cross the oceans. The 1st class cabins were absolutely beautiful! I would love to have an original painting of any of the Cunard Line ships. This one was done by Frederick Hoertz. Anyway, I think this is an old advertising piece for a travel office, perhaps? Whatcha think? Measures 28 by 21 inches.

1.ship7.jpg 1.ship6.jpg 1.ship8.jpg 1.ship5.jpg

2. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

I never knew this.

What was the difference between the RMS Titanic and the RMS Aquitania?

Unlike RMS Titanic, RMS Olympic or the upcoming Britannic, Aquitania did not employ a dummy funnel. That might sound bizarre, but it was a common design trait of the day. Symmetry and a four-funnel approach offered passengers a feeling of security and strength.

Figtree3, Boland, komokwa and 3 others like this.
  3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Certainly a multiple so agree. A merchandising piece. Frederick J. Hoertz. 'Aquitana Departing New York City.' The internet says a chromolithograph. And dates given are all over the place. That does appear to be 40 Wall Street to the right so... no earlier than 1930.

Debora

Figtree3, Boland, komokwa and 2 others like this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

it's majestic .......! Enjoy it !!

Draft saved Draft deleted