Crystal Cuspidor Christmas 1883

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by wlwhittier, Jun 9, 2022.

1. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

~6½" rim diameter, ~4⅛" rim height; weight ~1016 grams.
    It ignores blacklight.

On the bottom, in a circular fashion just inside the wear scratches, is etched: (underlined words are somewhat illegible)

To Lady K. from Capt. Weed Merry Christmas Dec. 24, 1883
    Caison Corps BC Scotland #401
    of Ireland Dist. 1

The inscription is quite difficult for me to photograph clearly.
    I'll keep trying, but please don't hold your breath.

I'm located in Port Angeles, Washington...Immediately across the Strait of Juan de Fuca from Victoria, British Columbia. I'm aware of the dangers involved with assumptions...but the BC in Caison Corps of Ireland may not be simple coincidence. I have searched without success for references to Captain Weed, Caison Corps BC of Ireland, and Scotland #401 Dist. 1.

I got this Spittoon before Google, sometime in the very early 1990's. I'm now pleased to present it here, in faint hope of a revelation about the man, and/or the military organizations. Lady K. who must have needed such a charming accessory, will probably remain an anonymous beauty with a jaw full of plug t'baccy.

Thank you all for looking.
    fullsizeoutput_94b7.jpeg fullsizeoutput_94b6.jpeg fullsizeoutput_94b4.jpeg fullsizeoutput_94b3.jpeg fullsizeoutput_94b2.jpeg fullsizeoutput_94b1.jpeg

2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Did you try caisson with two s's? Caison is a misspell.

Any Jewelry, Born2it and bercrystal like this.
  3. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

Y'know I noticed and thought about it, but didn't follow up...I will, an' thanks!

Ownedbybear, Born2it and bercrystal like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted