Crown Saxe Lycett Stationers Porcelain Plate ID

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by realityspace, Feb 2, 2020.

1. realityspace

realityspace New Member

Hello!
    I'm stumped! This plate is marked with a green crown and "Saxe.". A separate green Mark says, "Lycett Stationers, Balto." I’m trying to identify the maker, painter and time period. Also wondering, is Crown Saxe made from Limoges porcelain?

I found Lycett Stationers in Baltimore, but can't determine if the porcelain painter, Lycett, was part of the company. They sold Spode and other makers in their shop in Baltimore. This plate doesn't look nearly as accomplished as Lycett's work I've come across. Seems a big coincidence though. From what I’ve read, Lycett was in New York and Atlanta. Maybe a family member from another generation? Thank you!

IMG_20200201_114829507~2.jpg 92921EE8-D4C5-4CDB-8DE0-7AA53B196D17.jpeg B53466B8-8DF3-496E-8EBF-3690491C99E6.jpeg 73BD89BE-A791-47C6-8819-A7191000A314.jpeg

2. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Pretty plate! I hope stomebody else will be by soon to help.

3. 916Bulldogs123

916Bulldogs123 Well-Known Member

I think Lycett was the retailer and had nothing to do with making the plate or the design.
    Mikey

blooey, janetpjohn and realityspace like this.
  4. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Saxe is German.

5. JB Miller

JB Miller Well-Known Member

6. Chris Marshall

Chris Marshall Well-Known Member

First of all, there was not a single factory in Carlsbad as that was (as the name implies) a famous air & water spa. In Europe this fact is pretty well known; the "factory in Carlsbad" myth is probably based on foreign books written by uneducated people like the Kovels (which mis-translated a lot of the material they shamelessly lifted from Roentgen).

As we all probably know many hobby publishers with their "collector books" have birthed far worse than that ("Thuringer belonged to Austria" *LOL!*) etc., so people should simply take notes and move on:

Ahrenfeldt used LIMOGES marks on items they purchased in Limoges, ALTROHLAU marks for items they purchased in Altrohlau (Austrian Bohemia), and SAXE & SAXONIA marks for items they purchased in Germany, more specific Saxony (and later Thuringia, based on family ties).

As you will have noticed I said "purchased in", not "produced". The second myth touching Ahrenfeldt is that he owned "factories", which is wrong. Next to a small decoration studio (!) in Limoges he owned mere trade offices, as can be seen in the corresponding address and trade registers. Reason is an European expression, a twist of tongue, a marketing fib ... and suddenly "my agent/office" became "my factory".

I could name original producers, but those are irrelevant in context of Ahrenfeldt-marked goods. And I could go on about the telegraph system. Oh, there is a lot more to this but we are in a FORUM, not a BOOK. Any questions?

7. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Thank you, Chris!

realityspace likes this.
  8. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Thanks to Chris, my post was pretty good! :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

realityspace and SBSVC like this.
  9. Dolly

Dolly New Member

There was a quite a large Limoges factory owned by Ahrenfeldt that went into business I believe right after his death, it was opened by his son. My grandfather Fred Grob purchased the Ahrenfeldt company around 1917. He was in business with another guy in New York on Murray street named Herman Kupper also selling Schierholz, Plau porcelain. At that time he bought the company there was a lot of salesman samples from the decorating studio in Altrohlau. I have some of the records from Ahrenfeldt dating back to 1870's...pattern sketches, etc. My grandfather died and my grandmother ran company up till the 1950's.

kentworld likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted