Crossed swords mark , must be.......

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by rhiwfield, Dec 12, 2017.

1. rhiwfield

rhiwfield Well-Known Member

Lots of interesting pots from the December 6th auction

Here is a 7" vase which the prior owner had identified, I think correctly, and if so it dates to 1820. It stacks up from my books.

Not sure I would have got it without the prior owner's notes and he and I may yet be wrong!

Can you ID it, just a bit of fun to get the grey cells going ;)

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

cxgirl and kyratango like this.
  2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

3. clutteredcloset49

Ok - so when I first looked, my gut reaction was Japan import. Posted that, then went back up and see that you think it is from 1820s. So deleted that part of my post.

The pottery and details don't match what that mark suggests. So after a little digging I'm going with a little later date than the 1820s.

Maybe 1860s - Edme Samson
    I'm probably not correct. But that is my guess without spending hours looking.

cxgirl and rhiwfield like this.
  4. rhiwfield

I totally agree that the pottery and details dont match the obvious conclusion.

I certainly didnt know that the pottery in question ever used this mark, but they did, with the pattern number. Sadly I have not been able to match the pattern.

5. clutteredcloset49

So are you considering Derby?

rhiwfield likes this.
  6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

isn't it a fake Meissen mark ?

lloyd249 and rhiwfield like this.
  7. rhiwfield

I hadnt, mainly because Godden seemed to back up the prior owners research.

judy likes this.
  8. rhiwfield

Yes, but it was a mark also briefly used by this reputable pottery

judy and komokwa like this.
  9. clutteredcloset49

Ah, so you are thinking English. At least I'm in the right country.

judy and rhiwfield like this.
  10. JB Miller

JB Miller Well-Known Member

Hi. I've lurked here for a while but never posted but I would like to chime in on your vase.

The quality isn't Meissen, Derby, Samson or anything that I've ever seen except Chinese imitations. It seems they sometimes thought the sloppier they painted something the older it looked. The black specks in the porcelain is an indication of a low quality imitation as well.

However, it might be antique. You could contact the Victoria and Albert Museum's Collection Dept. through their email. Send images of your vase as attachments. It may take them a month to get back to you but they might be able to tell you for sure whether this is a recent or antique imitation.

11. rhiwfield

Interestingly the prior owner thought it was Minton.

Godden states: "some Minton porcelain of the 1820 period bears a very rare painted mark of the crossed swords (of Dresden) with the pattern number below"

The pattern number appears to be 4894 and Godden's description fits.

But, as you say the quality isnt there!

12. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Please feel welcome to post at your leisure......!! :happy:

Aquitaine likes this.
  13. Sandra Mary JONES

Sandra Mary JONES New Member

I have an interesting pottery bottle that is decorated with strange half human half dragon flynude men, it has a gold kneck and has got a crossed swords makers mark, it has strangely placedhandles.I would like to know more about it's origin. If anyone has any info.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
  14. Sandra Mary JONES

Sandra Mary JONES New Member

15. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

Please start a new thread. This one is two years old.

komokwa and judy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted