Cranberry Opalescent Spiral Optic Vase - Fenton or ?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Charlotte, Feb 18, 2015.

1. Charlotte

Charlotte Member

Hi Everyone. I'm new to joining the forum, though I have been lurking and learning, and hope I will be able to contribute. However, that remains to be seen, as my experience in the antiques/collectibles field has been quite eclectic ……. I know a little bit about a lot of things.

My question involves this cranberry opalescent spiral optic vase measuring 5 1/2 inches high. I feel this is an earlier Fenton Glass piece (before they were marked with the Fenton logo) and the identical vase is shown in many Fenton books as #3160CR made during the 1950s. What is puzzling is the number 5 that appears to be molded into the glass on the base. I have shown one image from the bottom where you can faintly see the reversed 5. In another image, looking down into the vase, I have drawn a crude line around the 5.

Does anyone know if Fenton ever marked pieces in this manner, or if another maker marked their pieces with a number like this? The Fenton vases are identified as 5 inch in the reference books, even though the actual measurements vary a little. So, perhaps, that number referenced the size? I have just never seen it before on any Fenton I have had….... unless it was so faint, I missed it. It is very difficult to see.

Thanks for any insight into this mystery.

fenton-swirl-vase-1698.jpg

fenton-swirl-vase-1698-4.jpg

fenton-swirl-vase-1698-5.jpg

cxgirl likes this.
  2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

That is an odd mark.
    Don't know if it was intentionally marked that way.

It's listed on page 232 in Fenton Art Glass, 3160CR 5" vase made between 1950 and 1960
    Color is Cranberry Spiral Optic

3. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Oh, pardon me. I just realized you already knew it was Fenton 3160.
    I should learn to read every thing and not just the first sentences of paragraphs.
    Sorry.

4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

very pretty....& welcome..

5. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Great photos! I agree with you that this is a Fenton product. The imprint of a 5 is likely an anomaly or unintentional. It could have happened in a number of ways. Maybe the glass maker set the cooling glass down onto something that made this imprint? Or maybe this was just the way it was finished and it looks like a five. Kind of like the impression of a face in a grilled cheese sandwich? Who knows, but it's a very pretty vase.

*crs* likes this.
  6. Charlotte

Charlotte Member

Thanks everyone. Much appreciated!

Thank you, Pam, for the explanation on how this mysterious mark may have happened. At least I know it is Fenton and can move forward with finding it a new home. :happy:

7. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

This would have initially been blown in a mold. The mold base [layes were seperate and often used in different molds with same sized base. I am thinking this is the base plate number so Fenton could tell which one to replace if one went bad..

8. Charlotte

Charlotte Member

Thanks George. Let me see if I understand this correctly. Fenton would have used the same base mold for many different 5 inch pieces, so other pieces should be out there with this same impressed 5 in the base? Or, is that mark on there somehow by mistake, as I have never seen another marked with a number such as this. Or, maybe they would normally polish the number off after the piece was completed?

9. fenton

fenton Well-Known Member

That Vase with the #5 on the base would be a Test Vase. Someone at the factory took it home with them.

antidiem likes this.
  10. Charlotte

Charlotte Member

Great information, Fenton, thank you!

Attempting to research now to determine exactly what that might indicate as far as value. I'm sure it's not like a rare incorrectly struck coin, but I can wish! ;)

11. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I used to think unusual pieces were more money. It has a small folowing so price does not equal rarity. I had a test plate from Wedgwood with 7 or 8 different color patches. Had it up for months finally sold for 5 bucks. you never know.
    greg

12. Charlotte

Charlotte Member

So true Greg. I'll just sell it for what it is... a beautiful example of Fenton's cranberry opalescent spiral optic line.

I appreciate everyone's help on this.

I love this forum. Recently I was able to identify an EAPG celery vase I have had sitting on a shelf for probably 20 years from a question someone asked here on the forum. It was a piece that had the same pattern as my celery. Made a beeline for my storage area and sure enough, mystery solved!

13. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the lesson, fenton! I think it always helps to give an explanation in your seller's listing for any unusual features of the item.

Draft saved Draft deleted